Xbox series-X controller has been launched just recently. But, many of the users face trouble while connecting their Xbox controller to the PC.
The connection method is the same as for the previous versions. However, there are minor things that the users miss. You will find a number of suggestions to fix the issue.
But, all of them are not reliable. People give random ideas without verifying them. Nevertheless, I believe in practicality.
Therefore, I have tested some potential tricks. In this guide, I am presenting only the solutions that I have tried personally. Hence, you should follow this article till the end.
Xbox Series X Controller won’t Pair with Bluetooth
In this section, we will fix the Xbox series X controller if it is not connecting with Bluetooth.
1. Reconnect the Bluetooth
The controller may not be appearing in the list of available devices. This problem can be solved by a simple trick. On your PC, turn Bluetooth OFF.
Wait a few seconds and then turn it ON. Also, disable Bluetooth on your Xbox controller. After 30-60 seconds, hold the pairing button and check again.
2. Charge Your Controller
Xbox series X controller comes with a rechargeable battery. It requires a USB-C charger. You should only use the provided charger.
Avoid using third-party and incompatible accessories. Connect your device to the power. Maybe low batteries are causing the connection issue.
3. Restart Xbox Controller
I always find a restart helpful in solving a number of problems. Before going to a complex solution, you must try a restart. Here is how to restart your device;
- On your controller, hold the button with the Xbox logo on it.
- Let the device turn OFF.
- Wait for 30 seconds and hold the button again.
- The controller will come ON. Now, enable Bluetooth and connect it again to your PC.
4. Update the Firmware
The firmware might be causing the issue. So, your device needs to be updated to the latest firmware version.
Because outdated firmware creates trouble while connecting with the latest version of Windows. Here are the update methods;
- Connect your Xbox series X controller to the Xbox Console.
- You can make a wired or wireless connection. Once the devices are connected, the firmware update will install.
However, if you do not have the Console, use your PC with Windows 10 or later to install the software.
- Open the browser on your PC and download the “Xbox Accessories”.
- Using the provided USB cable, connect the controller to the PC.
- Launch the Xbox Accessories software.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the update.
- Once the process is complete, try connecting the devices again.
5. Check Distance and Interference
Xbox controller can pair to your PC from a reasonable distance. However, if it is too far away, the connection may not establish. Therefore, you should place the device closer to your PC.
Moreover, check if there are other Bluetooth devices nearby. Both your PC and controller can connect to some other device. Therefore, they fail to pair with each other.
Disable extra devices as they can interfere with the connection. This will remove any disturbance. Resultantly, your device will pair successfully.
6. Troubleshoot Your PC
Do a test by connecting your controller to some other PC or laptop. If it pairs successfully, your current PC has some problems.
Run a troubleshooting program to detect the issue. Follow these steps to troubleshoot your Windows PC;
For Windows 10:
- Open the “Start Menu” and choose “Settings”.
- Next, select “Update & Security”.
- Click on the “Troubleshoot Settings” and then “Additional Troubleshooters”.
- Now, choose “Hardware and Devices”.
- Finally, tap “Run the Troubleshooter”.
- You can also try “Bluetooth Troubleshooter”.
For Windows 11:
- Open the “Start Menu” and click on “Settings”.
- Choose “System” and then go to “Troubleshooting Settings”.
- Select “Additional Troubleshooters” and then “Hardware and Devices”.
- Finally, click on the “Run” button.
- This program will scan your PC and will diagnose the problem. Then, you can solve it accordingly.
7. Update Windows PC
Xbox series X is the latest controller. Therefore, it requires the latest version of Windows PC to connect. So, you have to update your PC. Here are the steps;
- Click the “Windows” icon on the bottom left of your PC screen.
- Open “Setting” by clicking the gear icon.
- Go to the “Update & Security” section.
- Next, click on “Check for Updates”.
- The software will start updating. Your PC will restart. Wait for the process to complete and then try pairing again.
Xbox Series X Controller won’t Connect with a Cable
Xbox can also make a wired connection. Some users find it more reliable and convenient. However, the wired connection also fails to establish sometimes. Here are some simple fixes you should try.
1. Use the Compatible USB Cable
Make sure you are using the USB cable that came with your controller. Do not use any other cable as it can create the issue.
Moreover, check the type of USB cable you are using. The charge-only cable is used for power. It cannot transfer data.
Use the sync cable, it is thicker. It has a dot and a straight line with an arrow at the USB-A end.
This line is divided into two branches, one ends at a circle and the other at a square. Look at your cables carefully and use the right one.
2. Replace the Damaged Cable
You may be using a damaged cable. That’s why the controller is not connecting to the PC. So, examine the cable along its entire length. It should not be frayed out or exposed at any point.
Replace it if you find the cable damaged. Also, check the connection ports on your PC and controller. Clean the ports and connect the wire again.
FAQs About Xbox Series X Controller
Simple questions help you fix the issues. So, here are quick answers to your frequently asked questions.
How to connect my Series X controller to a PC?
Series X controller uses a USB-C cable to make a wired connection. Simply plug one end of the cable into the controller and the other end into your PC. Alternatively, you can pair them via Bluetooth. Press the pairing button on the device and turn ON Bluetooth on the PC. Click the “Connect” button when devices find each other.
Are Xbox Series X Controllers durable?
Xbox series X is the latest and upgraded version. It is durable and reliable just like its previous versions. It has a brand new D-pad design. This product can last up to a decade.
How long is the warranty for the Xbox series X controller?
Normally, Xbox controllers come with a 90-days warranty period. However, if you have purchased both the controller and the Console, Microsoft gives a 3-days warranty. That is for mechanical and electrical breakdowns and accidents.
How long Microsoft will take to repair or replace my controller?
The repair takes almost 7-21 days. Replacement can also take the same time. Because shipping and delivery time is also required. Moreover, the company has to diagnose, inspect, and fix the device.
If nothing works then you must consult Xbox.com. Since your device is just a few days old, it is under warranty.
So, you can claim a refund or replacement. Most probably, the issue is built-in. Therefore, nothing has worked.
However, I found these solutions effective in fixing a number of Xbox series X controllers that were not connecting to a PC. Hence, you must give them a try.