Screen mirroring is an amazing feature to watch iPhone content on the larger TV screen. But, what should you do if the screen mirroring function from iPhone to Sony TV stops working?
You may be eager to watch your favorite video on the TV. However, you seem too worried as screen mirroring is not working.
While reading these words, you should stop worrying. Because I have come up with quick solutions.
I am going to share what I do when my iPhone refuses to mirror. My guide will tell you the expert tips. So, let us start.
Are Your Devices Compatible?
Do your Sony TV and iPhone support screen mirroring? This is the most important question to ask. You should check the model and year of your Sony TV.
Because some Sony TV models released between 2013-2020 do not support screen mirroring. Find the complete list of AirPlay-compatible Sony TVs here.
Likewise, Apple devices released in 2021 and 2022 lack screen mirroring features.
So, confirm this fact. If your devices are compatible, move forward to the troubleshooting guide.
Further, you have to check some important things. These are minor aspects but can cause trouble. So, make sure;
- The “Input” of your Sony TV is set to Screen Mirroring.
- Set up of your iPhone is completed.
- Both of your devices are registered with each other. On the TV remote, press “INPUT”, click the “Screen Mirroring” and hit “Enter”.
- No wireless device is connected to your iPhone via AirPlay or Bluetooth.
- Bluetooth is turned OFF on your Sony TV.
- Your Sony TV and iPhone are placed closer to each other.
Solution 1: Follow the Correct Method
There are two methods to watch iPhone content on a TV. First is the direct streaming of a video. The second is the full-screen mirroring.
Every action you perform on your iPhone will be shown on the TV screen. You may be doing it wrong. So, let us learn the right method here;
- Connect your Sony TV and iPhone to the same Wifi network.
- Open Control Center on your Apple device. Tap the “Screen mirroring” option.
- A list of devices will appear, select your Sony TV.
- An AirPlay passcode may show on the TV screen, enter it on your iOS device. That’s all.
- If it does not work, disable and enable the Screen Mirroring option on your TV and mobile device.
- Note: If you want to stop mirroring, open the Control Center on your phone, tap “Screen Mirroring” and then the “Stop” button.
Solution 2: Reboot Your Sony TV
I solve a number of issues simply by restarting and rebooting the TV. Here is how to reboot or power cycle your Sony TV;
- Press and hold the “Power” button on the remote control of your Android TV. This will restart the TV.
- Turn OFF your TV by pressing the “Power” button. Now, plug the power cord out of the wall outlet.
- Wait for 2 minutes. Plug the power cord back into the electric outlet.
- Turn ON your TV and try again.
Solution 3: Disable Bluetooth
Bluetooth can interfere with the mirroring feature. Therefore, you should turn it OFF both on your TV and iPhone.
Go to iPhone settings, choose Bluetooth, and turn it OFF. Follow the below-given steps to disable Bluetooth on Sony TV;
- On your TV remote, press the “Home” button to open the menu.
- Navigate to the “Settings” and click the “Select” button.
- Scroll down further to access the “Network and Accessories”.
- Choose “Bluetooth Settings” and then hit the “Select” button.
- Click on the “Bluetooth ON” option and then press “Select”.
- Finally, highlight the “OFF” tab and click “Select”. Bluetooth is now disabled on your TV.
Solution 4: Check for Latest TV Updates
Outdated software can be the reason behind the issue. So, you should install the latest software update on your Sony;
- Press the “Home” button on the TV remote.
- Choose “Settings” from the menu. Scroll down and select “Customer/Product Support”.
- Next, choose the “Software Update” option. Finally, Click the “OK” or “Yes” button if the latest version is available.
- Once, the update is completed, try mirroring again.
Solution 5: Agree to Privacy Settings
While you connect your devices, you get a code on your TV. You have to enter this code on your iPhone. This is a verification process.
However, the code is not accepted sometimes. This problem can be solved by agreeing to the privacy settings;
- First, make sure that you are entering the code exactly as it is given.
- Press the “Help” button on your Sony remote.
- Choose “Status & Diagnostics” from the menu that shows.
- Next, click on the “Privacy Settings”.
- Read the conditions and click the “Agree to the Privacy Settings” button at the bottom.
- Finally, check whether the feature works or not.
Solution 6: Troubleshoot Your iPhone
Just like you rebooted your Sony TV, also reboot your iOS device. This simple trick is very useful in fixing a lot of issues. Here is how to do it;
- Press and hold the Side/Power button on your iPhone. It is located on the right-hand side.
- A “Power OFF” slider will appear, drag it to confirm the function.
- Your device will turn OFF, wait for 30-60 seconds.
- Now, hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- The reboot method may vary for different iPhone models. Check the complete guidelines here.
Solution 7: Update Your iPhone
Updating the iPhone is also necessary for smooth functioning. AirPlay may not be working due to a down firmware. Therefore, you have to install the latest version;
- First, back up the data of your iPhone to iCloud.
- Now, connect your device to the power using the compatible charger.
- Connect the phone to a stable and reliable internet or Wifi.
- Go to “Settings” and choose the “General” tab.
- Navigate to the “Software Update”.
- One or more updates will show on the screen, choose your preferred one.
- Click the “Install Now” button and enter your passcode.
- Instead of Update, the Upgrade option may be available. Download it to solve the mirroring issue.
- Learn all of the Update methods from Apple.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the questions that you may want to ask. They will help you further in troubleshooting methods.
Why AirPlay is slow on my Sony TV?
Lagging or slow AirPlay is due to poor network connection. So, restart your Wifi modem. Unplug the modem from the power source, wait for 60 seconds and plug it back again. Reconnect your TV to the Wifi and AirPlay.
Do all Sony TVs support Screen Mirroring?
Some older Sony TV models do not support Screen mirroring and AirPlay. Some models come with built-in support. While others can be made compatible by updating the software.
Why Screen mirroring is not working on my Sony TV?
One immediate reason is that your Sony TV is not compatible with AirPlay and does not support Screen Mirroring. Another cause is that the feature is not enabled on one or both devices. You should make sure that the TV and phone are placed side by side. Moreover, make sure that both devices are connected to the same Wifi network.
I have included very simple and effective hacks. Surely, they have fixed your issue. However, if still, it does not work, Screen Mirror your iPhone to a different TV.
This will help you diagnose which device is the culprit. Contact Sony customer support if your TV is malfunctioning.
Nevertheless, do not forget to apply all the tricks. Also, double-check all the aspects I mentioned above.
I will appreciate it if you tell me in the comment section with which of my hacks Screen Mirroring from your iPhone to Sony TV started working.