There are multiple ways to connect the Xbox controller to your PC without a receiver. However, an adapter is needed to recognize the connection in most cases.
Moreover, you cannot pair it via Bluetooth. The reason is that the Xbox has a different frequency than Bluetooth on a PC.
360 controller offers you great convenience during gaming. Playing video games with the keyboard and mouse is annoying.
Because you have to remember many keys and functions, an immediate response is not possible and finally, your hands remain busy and you feel uneasy.
In such a situation, connecting an Xbox to your PC is a great option. But, it may be a costly option. Furthermore, it is a challenge to connect an Xbox 360 controller to a PC without the receiver.
Apparently, this connection is not feasible. But, do not worry we will tell you an alternate solution.
There are three options that can be used to connect an Xbox 360 controller to your PC without a receiver.
- Connecting Xbox Controller through USB cable
- Buying an adapter or receiver
- Purchasing a Microsoft Xbox Package
1. Connect through USB
The wired option is the easiest way to connect your Xbox to your PC. The setup process is quite simple and hassle-free.
First of all, find the USB port on your PC. Next, insert the controller into the USB port.
The next process will be automatic. The controller will be automatically recognized by your PC and it will start downloading the relevant drivers.
Your PC will indicate the success of the connection. So, you can now play the games through your Xbox 360 controller.
2. Purchase Microsoft Xbox Package
This process is a little bit complex and needs many accessories. Additionally, it is an expensive method. If you do not have an Xbox already then go for this option.
Purchase the Microsoft Xbox package for Windows. It contains all the accessories and is compatible with each Windows version.
Unlike traditional controllers, the Microsoft Xbox package does not pose any problem. You can connect it wirelessly to your PC.
So, all you have to do is buy this bundle if you want a hassle-free setup. However, if you already own an Xbox then you may hesitate to buy a new one. The solution is that you can sell your older Xbox.
Also Read: Connect JBL Speakers To Computer and laptop
3. Purchase an adapter
The third option is to purchase an adapter/receiver to connect your wireless Xbox to your PC. The Microsoft adapters come within the Microsoft Xbox package and are not available separately.
So, you have to buy from another party. But, do some research on quality. Because they are replicas of the original Microsoft adapters. The quality may not be that good but fine to use.
So, you have to be careful while purchasing an adapter from a third party. Another option is to buy an orphaned Microsoft Xbox adapter.
Connecting Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver to Your PC
Different Windows versions require different steps to install Microsoft Xbox on a PC. However, the overall process is simple and easy. In the next section, we will guide you through the installation process.
1. Installing Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless receiver on Windows 8 and 10
Windows 8 and 10 do not pose any difficulty in the installation process.
You just need to plug the Xbox receiver into your PC. It will immediately detect the device. You do not need to perform any function. Just sit back and wait.
Your PC will automatically start downloading the relevant drivers. Once the installation process is completed, you can start playing.
For further surety, you can confirm the successful connection by following some simple steps.
- Go to the start menu
- Type ‘Device Manager’ in the search box
- You will see ‘Xbox 360 wireless receiver for Windows’
This is an indication that you have successfully installed the Microsoft Xbox receiver on your PC.
Also Read: How to Connect Two Speakers to One Output
2. Installing Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless receiver on Windows 7 and lower
The process of installation is different on Windows 7 and lower. Downloading does not start automatically rather you have to do it manually.
- First of all, you connect the adapter to the gadget driver.
- Next, insert the USB drive.
- You will see a wizard on the screen. It will tell you to move into your operating system.
- If your windows already have relevant files, you need to click on the automatic installation. It will proceed further and the installation program will run successfully.
- In case, your Windows does not possess the files then you need to follow some more steps.
- One easy option is the CD included in the Microsoft Xbox package. Insert the CD into CD ROM and download the drivers on your PC.
- The other option is to install the drivers directly from Microsoft. All you need to do is go to Microsoft’s official website find the drivers for the Xbox receiver and start downloading.
You should confirm the success of the connection. The verification process is the same.
- Go to ‘Device Manager’ on your PC and look for the drivers whether they are installed or not.
- If they have been installed, you will see the command ‘pair controller to PC’.
- Click on this and your Xbox controller will be connected to your PC.
Installing A Third-Party Xbox Receiver on Your PC
You need to follow some more steps to install a third-party Xbox receiver. The process is complex because you are connecting a duplicate of the Microsoft Xbox receiver on your PC. But, it is compatible with your PC and works well.
The process is the same on all Windows versions. Carefully follow the following steps.
Step 1: Install the Xbox drivers on your PC
The first thing is to install the necessary drivers on your PC. It includes the following steps:
- Locate the USB port on your PC and insert the adapter into the USB port
- Go to the Windows search box and then to Device Manager
- Click on the sub-category “Other Devices”
- Choose the option “Unknown Device” and click on “Update Driver Software”
- This will lead you to a pop-up window that will say “Browse my Computer”, and select it.
- Click on the option “Let me pick from a list of device drivers”.
- You will see a full list of devices. Choose “Xbox 360 peripherals”
- Another list will show you all the models, you should select the latest one and click on the “yes” button to start the installation process.
Step 2: Connect the Xbox controller to your PC
In this step, you synchronize the Xbox controller to your PC.
- First of all, click the “pair” button on the receiver and connect the button to the controller.
- Next, press the “guide button” present on your controller.
- If the backlight turns green, it means your controller is connected to your PC and is ready to play.
Step 3: Verify the Connection
You can also verify the connection. Follow these simple guidelines:
- Search the “game controller” on your PC.
- Look for “Set up USB game controller”.
- Check whether it is functioning or not. For this, you should play via triggers, pads, and sticks.
- If each of your moves is detected then the connection is successful.
- Your controller is ready to play games.
Attention: You should remember that unplugging the receiver will create a fuss. Because the second time connection will require following all the above-mentioned steps. So, be careful and do not unplug your device.
However, it may be disconnected automatically or accidentally. You should remember the above-mentioned steps as a precautionary measure.
Guide to Buying an Xbox Receiver
If you want to purchase an Xbox receiver, you can avail one of the following three options.
The First Option
You can buy the original Microsoft Xbox package. It is available online and also in local electronic stores. The price goes up to $60. If you already possess an Xbox controller and just need the adapter or receiver, you can sell extra accessories online. This trick gives you a genuine adapter with no risk.
The Second Option
The second option is to buy an orphaned Microsoft Xbox adapter. You can search on any online store or website. This adapter costs you just $15 to $20. But, one drawback is that you are not buying from a trusted seller. Moreover, it is not a sealed pack. So, you are not sure about its originality.
The Last Option
If you are not willing to buy and sell then the last option is purchasing a duplicate adapter from a third party. Although, it is difficult to find a trusted dealer you can do it.
They cost you less, usually 5 to 15 dollars. Duplicate adapters are available in electronic stores, Amazon, and other online stores.
One disadvantage is that they require a little more effort and time to connect with your PC. Look for the tag “X360 or PC wireless gaming receiver” on the synchronization button. The duplicate receivers usually have such labels.
Most Important Points to Consider While Buying a Reciever
You should consider the following things to make your purchase risk-free.
- Choose the adapter that comes with a driver disk and manual. Because there are almost zero chances of fake CDs and booklets. So, if it comes with a manual and driver disk then it is genuine.
- Always go through the customers’ reviews. You will have an idea of whether the product is real or fake.
- Purchase from the seller which offers a refund or replacement policy.
- Choose the one that is fulfilled by Amazon. This is not a surety of originality but you have the option to return the device if it is fake or faulty.
- Ask the seller for photos of the product. Compare the design and labeling to the original Microsoft adapter.
- The back of the genuine Microsoft adapter reads “Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless for Windows”. While the front has the label “Microsoft”. It is a sign of an authentic product. If something is missing or extra, the product is fake.
- In this way, you can verify the originality of the product.
FAQs Regarding Xbox 360 Controller
If you have further queries regarding the Xbox Controller, read the following frequently asked questions and their answers.
Why my Xbox 360 Controller cannot connect to the PC?
If your Xbox 360 Controller can not connect to the PC, you need to troubleshoot it. Unplug it from your PC and then plug it in again after a few seconds or use a different USB port on your PC.
Can the Xbox 360 Controller connect to the PC via Bluetooth?
You cannot connect the Xbox 360 Controller directly via Bluetooth. Because it uses a different wireless technology. Hence, you need to use a wireless adapter for Windows PCs.
Why Xbox 360 Controller is so expensive?
Xbox 360 Controllers are expensive because they are made of premium quality material. Moreover, they come with exceptional features not offered by other controllers. Further, the price is high due to the profit margin of Microsoft.
Can a smartphone be used as an Xbox 360 Controller?
Xbox SmartGlass is a mobile app that can be used to control Xbox One and Xbox 360. It turns your smartphone or tablet into a controller. The app has many functions and allows full access. So, you can use your phone as an Xbox controller if you feel comfortable.
Can I use a PS4 or PS3 controller on Xbox 360?
Yes, it is possible to use a third-party controller on Xbox. However, you need a special type of adapter to do this. For example, Cronus and DualShock 4 are devices that can be used to control Xbox via the PS4 or PS3 controller.
How to Connect Xbox Controller to PC Without Adapter
We have discussed the different options for connecting an Xbox controller to your PC without a receiver. Additionally, we guided you through the connection process. Further, we gave you some useful tips for purchasing an Xbox adapter. We hope this article helped you.