Are you searching for workable methods to fix the Roku black screen? Is your Roku AirPlay not working? If yes, grab this guide.
I would tell you very effective tips to solve the black screen problem. Either your TV, iPhone, or Roku is displaying a black screen.
My guide promises to fix all types of issues. You just need to follow the instructions correctly.
Why Roku AirPlay is Displaying a Black Screen?
You can AirPlay content from Roku on your iPhone. Moreover, certain Roku TV models support the AirPlay feature.
The black screen issue can be caused by Roku as well as your TV or iPhone. It can be a loose cable/connection, software glitch, or outdated firmware.
Disconnect your Roku from the TV. If the TV works fine, we need to troubleshoot the device only. However, if the problem arises only at certain points, the TV can be a culprit.
Detecting the root cause is very necessary to fix the device successfully. I will explain all the troubleshooting methods which I have tested so far.
How to Fix Roku AirPlay Black Screen?
Here are some quick methods to solve the issue. I have listed the easiest hacks first for your convenience. In many cases, simple tips remove the problem. So, let us try.
1. Restart Your Roku
A restart is my first priority. Because it removes the temporary glitches and corrupted data. So, restart your Roku.
- Press the “Home” button on the Roku device.
- Navigate to the “Settings” menu.
- Choose “System” and then click “System Restart”.
- Now, connect the device again and start streaming.
- You may not be able to access the menu because the screen is black.
- In this case, unplug the power from your Roku device, wait a few seconds, and connect the power again.
2. Keep the Devices Closer
The black screen issue can also occur if your devices are out of range. Make sure Roku and iPhone are placed closer to each other.
Moreover, check that nothing is distorting the connection. Maybe your Roku has automatically paired with another iPhone. Further, you should be within Wifi range.
3. Troubleshoot Your Internet
The issue can also occur due to poor and slow internet. Because AirPlay works on Wifi. Although the device connects yet fails to play the content.
So, you have to check your internet connection. Check the internet speed on a different device.
Restart your router or modem. Check for the latest updates. Connect Wifi and AirPlay again.
4. Reset Your Roku Device
A reset will restore your device to factory settings. You will need to do the setup process again. However, it can solve a number of issues.
But, before that, check for the latest firmware and install it. The process is as follows;
- On your Roku remote, press the “Home” button.
- Navigate to “Settings” and select “System”.
- Choose “System Update” and install if the latest version is available.
- Otherwise, click on “Advanced System Settings”.
- Next, click the “Factory Reset” button.
- Complete the process by following the on-screen instructions.
5. Reset Your Roku TV
You may have a Roku TV that is equipped with built-in AirPlay. It allows you to stream iPhone content on the TV screen. But, you get a black screen. Power cycle your TV as follows;
- Unplug the power cable of your TV from the wall outlet.
- Wait for 30-60 seconds and connect the power cable.
- Alternately, find the “RESET” button on the back of your TV.
- Press this button for a few seconds or until the TV restarts.
- Also, check all the connection cables. Plug everything firmly into your TV.
6. Channel-Specific Issue
The issue may be related to a specific channel. Some users report that AirPlay shows a black screen while streaming through Youtube.
But, video plays well on other sources. This indicates that the channel or source is the culprit. So, you should uninstall and reinstall the troubling channel. Then, check performance again.
7. Check Image Settings
I fixed some dark screens by correcting the image settings on Roku TVs. So, you should also try changing the image settings.
- Access the TV menu and go to picture settings.
- Turn the “Overscan” ON or OFF.
- Adjust the zoom level. Maybe the picture is fully zoomed out.
- Next, check the resolution on Roku. Try various features such as “Auto detect” or 720p TV. Find more details here.
8. Contact Roku Support
I have told you all the potential solutions to my knowledge. I am hopeful that they will resolve your problem. However, if nothing helps, contact Roku customer support.
Possibly the device has a built-in problem. Therefore, only the manufacturer can fix it.
FAQs About Roku AirPlay
Let us address your additional queries. I have included the most important questions to help you further.
How to fix a green screen on Roku?
Sometimes, your TV screen turns blue, green, or purple while playing through Roku. It is the fault of the HDMI cable. So, check the cable for any damage and replace it. Other reasons are loose connections and software bugs. So, secure the connections firmly. Restart and reset your Roku and TV.
What should I do if my Roku is frozen on the loading screen?
Resetting the device can fix the frozen screen. On your Roku remote, press the “Home” button 5 times, the “Up” arrow once, the “Rewind” button two times, and the “Fast Forward” button 2 times. This will restart the device.
Why my Roku has stopped streaming?
Slow internet is the most probable reason your Roku is not streaming. Overheating is also a common cause. Further, outdated firmware and high-resolution media apps can also buffer streaming. Just restart, update, and reset your device.
How to AirPlay from my iPhone to a Roku TV?
Open the “Control Center” on your iPhone. Click the “AirPlay” icon. Choose your TV from the list of available devices. Enter the code if your iPhone requires it. The devices will connect after verification.
Why my Roku is not showing a picture but has sound?
Enable HDMI-CEC on your TV. Your TV can work with the Roku remote. But, if it does not respond, the HDMI connection is not established. Further, plug the cable firmly into the TV. Also, check the cable health and replace it if necessary.
Also read: How to Fix MacBook Air Black Screen
Surely, till now, you have fixed the Roku AirPlay black screen. I hope, your device is working fine now. I would appreciate it if you tell me in the comment section which of the tricks proved the most useful.