Sonos One is a great smart speaker with modern features. It needs a Wifi connection to provide you with its full potential. However, sometimes, your Sonos One fails to connect to a Wifi network.
You may be wondering how to fix this issue. This guide will tell you the possible causes and potential solutions.
1. Check the Wifi Password
One cause is that the Wifi password you are entering is incorrect. Therefore, your Sonos speakers are not connecting. Click the “Show” button while entering the password.
Double-check the password on your router. Another solution is to change the Wifi password and then try connecting again.
2. Connect via Ethernet
Another solution to this problem is to connect your Sonos One through an Ethernet cable. You need a compatible Ethernet cable. Plug one end into the router and the other end into your speaker port. Choose the “Alternate Setup” option to make it work.
3. Security Issues with Wifi Network
The issue may also arise if you are trying to connect your Sonos to a network other than your home Wifi. You should note that certain networks do not allow all devices to link with them because of security or privacy concerns.
For example, check the following possibilities:
You are trying to connect to a guest network or mobile hotspot.
- A public internet network at hotels, malls, subways, institutions, etc.
- A network that has a wireless range extender.
- A network that uses a portal page for login.
- A router that provides only 5GHz Wifi.
- Moreover, make sure you are connecting to the right Wi-Fi network.
4. Check Network Strength
In some cases, the weak network signals cause this issue. Your speaker fails to connect because the internet signals are not strong enough. Move closer to the Wi-Fi modem.
Check the network strength through other internet devices. Contact the server or network provider if the issue is prolonged. The problem may be at the backend, hence, the server can resolve it.
5. Follow the Correct Connection Process
One possibility is that you may be missing an important step while connecting the speaker to the internet. So, reconnect it by the following steps:
- Download the Sonos app on your smartphone. Connect the smartphone to the same Wifi network to which you want to link the speaker.
- Now, pair your Sonos One to your mobile device via Bluetooth.
- If possible, plug the Ethernet cable into your Sonos speaker.
- Open the app and go to “Settings”. Choose the “System” option and then “Network”.
- Next, click “Wireless Set Up” and do as directed through the on-screen prompts.
- Enter the correct Wifi password. If the connection is successful, you will see a confirmation message.
- Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the speaker after the wireless connection has been established.
6. Troubleshoot via the Sonos App
There is another solution to the problem of the speaker not connecting to Wifi. Follow these steps for troubleshooting;
- Open the Sonos S1 app on your mobile device.
- Search for your Sonos One speaker and add it.
- Try connecting to your home Wifi network.
- Click the “Learn More” option when a message saying “Unable to connect to Sonos” appears.
- Next, click “Changed Router or Wifi Settings?”
- Follow the proceeding guidelines to troubleshoot the issue.
7. Restart and Reset Your Home Network
Generally, home internet networks use a Wifi router or modem. It can have some glitch that interferes with the connectivity. So, restart or reset the router by the following method:
- Unplug the router from the wall power outlet.
- Wait for 30-60 seconds, the device will power cycle during this time.
- Now, plug into the power source again and let the router turn ON.
- Finally, connect your Sonos One to the network.
- If the restart does not help, reset the Wifi router. Look for the reset method in the user manual.
- Generally, the modems have a reset button. Press and hold it until the device restarts.
8. Connect via Sonos Boost
Do you have Sonos Boost in your smart home system? If yes, take the benefit of this device to resolve the issue. You just need to plug it into your Wifi router.
The Boost can create a separate Wifi network without interference from the traffic of other devices.
9. Turn OFF VPN
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) on your computer or phone may be causing the problem. There can be a third-party VPN operating in your system. Check it in the settings and turn it OFF. Then, try connecting your Sonos One again to the internet.
10. Reboot and Reset Your Sonos One
Rebooting and resetting can work as a wonder. It resolves a number of software-related issues. Here is how to do it:
Power Cycle or Soft Reset
- Unplug your Sonos One from the power source.
- Leave it OFF for 10-30 seconds so that it can power cycle.
- Then, plug the power cord back into the speaker.
- Press the power button to turn it ON and try connecting again to the Wifi.
Hard or Factory Reset
- First, follow the above-mentioned power cycle method.
- When you reconnect the power source, hold down the “Play/Pause” or “Join” button.
- Release the button when the LED light flashes orange, white, and finally green.
- Now, your device has been reset to factory settings.
- Connect it to the Wifi network like you did for the very first time.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have further queries regarding your Sonos One speaker, get answers in the following section.
How to reset the Sonos Controller?
You can reset the Sonos controller through the Sonos app. Open the “Settings” and then the “App Preferences” or “Help” menu. Scroll down and click the “Reset Controller” option. Afterward, reconnect the speaker to the app.
Which Wifi band does Sonos One need, 2.4GHz or 5GHz?
Sonos speakers including Sonos One can connect to either internet network. You can link it to a 2.4GHz as well as 5GHz. Moreover, Sonos speakers can also connect to WPA1 and WPA2 security standards.
Which Sonos Speaker is better than Sonos One?
Sonos Era Speakers have been launched as a replacement for Sonos One. Sonos has released this new version on March 28, 2023. After 6 years of Sonos One, the company has upgraded it.
Also read: The Method to Connect Sonos to a New Wifi
There can be several reasons why your Sonos One is not connecting to Wifi. For example, a weak Wifi network, software glitches, security issues, incorrect Wifi password, VPN, and interference from other devices. All these causes can be eliminated by applying the troubleshooting steps mentioned in our guide. Hopefully, now your speaker is connected to the internet and you are enjoying the music.