The scroll wheel is a very important part of a mouse. A non-responsive wheel creates a lot of irritation. A lot of Logitech users reported that the scroll wheel is not working on their mouse including the models M720, M510, and M325.
There can be various conditions of the problem. For example, the scroll wheel is hard to click, moves but does not work, or moves either up or down. Before buying a new mouse, you should try the troubleshooting tricks mentioned in this guide.
1. Clean the Mouse
One of the reasons can be the dust, debris, or some tiny object trapped inside the wheel. Therefore, it is stuck or moves just one way.
You should clean the mouse thoroughly and remove any obstruction. Use an air blower or a hair dryer at the lowest speed to remove dust from around the wheel. Likewise, clean the surrounding areas with a damp microfiber cloth.
2. Check for Software Issues
It may happen that there is no hardware defect in your mouse. But, the problem is related to a specific program or application.
Open various programs, apps, or games on your computer and use the mouse.
Then, notice with which apps it works normally. Update, uninstall, or reinstall the problematic apps and restart your computer.
3. Replace or Recharge the Batteries
The scroll wheel can stop working due to low power. For example, the battery is not charged or has drained out. Likewise, the replaceable batteries may have expired.
Logitech M720, M510, and M325 use rechargeable or replaceable AA batteries. You can switch to either of the options.
So, connect the power source if your mouse is working on the rechargeable battery. Let it charge for 30-60 minutes. In the case of replaceable batteries, put the new ones so that the power issue can be resolved.
4. Update the Mouse Drivers
If the drivers are out of date, your Logitech mouse will not work properly. So, you should update the drivers manually or using the software. Updating the drivers manually is a lengthy process.
On the other hand, the same process can be done in minutes through the software “Driver Easy”. Download and launch the program on your computer.
This program will update all the missing or corrupted drivers. Use either the Free or the Pro version that comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Here is the process to update:
- Click this link to install Driver Easy on your computer.
- Run the program and click the “Scan Now” button. Let it scan and show you a report.
- Hit the “Update” or “Update All” button if it prompts you to install the drivers.
- Wait for the program to complete the process and then restart your computer.
5. Reconnect the Mouse
Disconnect your mouse from the computer and also unplug the USB receiver. Restart both the mouse and the receiver. Now, insert the receiver into your computer and reconnect the mouse.
This trick helps eliminate temporary issues. Another step is to plug the Logitech receiver into a different USB port on your computer.
The current one may be defective. Similarly, you can try another mouse to confirm whether the problem is in the mouse or the computer.
6. Check Mouse Wheel Settings
Another reason for the issue can be the wrong settings of the mouse wheel. You should check and fix this factor. Follow these steps to change the settings in Windows 10 and 11;
- Open the “Run Window” on your computer by pressing the “Windows+R” keys.
- In the dialogue box, type “Control” and hit the “Enter” key.
- This will lead you to the “Control Panel”, and select the “Mouse” option.
- On older versions of Windows, follow the “Hardware>Devices>Mouse” path.
- Next, choose the “Wheel” option and apply “scroll one page at a time”.
- Click the “Apply” and then “OK” button.
7. Fix the Scrolling Wheel in Excel
Most of the time, the wheel gets stuck while working on Microsoft Excel. This is a program-specific issue and can be resolved by altering the cursor movement as follows:
- Open the Microsoft Excel on your computer.
- Next, click the “File” menu and then “Options”.
- Choose “Advanced” and then expand the “Editing” menu in the right pane.
- Navigate to the “After pressing Enter, move selection” option and uncheck the box next to it.
- Now, go to the “Direction” and click the down arrow next to it. Select “up, left, right”.
- Finally, click the “OK” button to apply the settings. Use the mouse again to check if it is working normally.
8. Disable the Touchpad
Interference from the touchpad can also lead to such an issue. Something may be touching or stimulating the touchpad. Therefore, you should disable it temporarily:
- Go to Windows Settings on your computer, and press “Windows+I” to open the settings.
- Choose “Devices” and then “Touchpad”.
- Toggle the switch to the “OFF” position.
- Use the mouse and check the scroll wheel functionality.
- You can enable the touchpad again if the issue is resolved.
9. Contact Logitech
This guide has mentioned all the potential solutions that can fix your Logitech mouse. However, if no trick worked, you need to contact the Logitech support team.
The issue might be in the hardware. The company offers a free repair or replacement within the warranty period.
Frequently Asked Questions
Read the following section to get answers to your important queries.
Why the scroll wheel is not working on my Logitech mouse?
There can be several reasons such as dirt/debris, outdated drivers, software issues, app-related problems, or wrong settings. All these causes can be eliminated by following our guide.
Does the Logitech M510 have a Bluetooth connectivity feature?
Logitech M510 is not a Bluetooth-supported mouse. It works by connecting to the Unifying USB receiver that is inserted into your computer. The mouse is equipped with 2.4GHz wireless performance.
Is Logitech M510, M720 and M325 good for gaming?
Logitech M720 is a good choice for gaming and wins customers’ trust. However, Logitech M510 and M325 are not designed for gaming. They cannot handle quick clicks and latency. However, both these models are good for home, work, business, and normal routine usage.
Also read: How to Fix Logitech Mouse Not Working
You can try a number of solutions to fix your Logitech Mouse if its scroll wheel is working. This guide provides troubleshooting solutions for Logitech M720, M510, and M325. These are expensive devices and you should try to fix them before throwing them out or replacing them.