Vizio soundbars are very popular among music lovers. My home theater setup also has some Vizio soundbars and devices. The good thing is that you get a lot of connectivity options including HDMI, Optical, Bluetooth, etc.
But, sometimes, the soundbar does not work or gives sound with an optical cable. This article will guide you on how to fix such an issue.
1. Reconnect the Soundbar
Poor or loose connection can lead to no-sound problems on your Vizio. Therefore, you should disconnect and reconnect the devices.
- Turn OFF the system.
- Disconnect the Optical cable both from the soundbar and the TV.
- Clean the cable connectors and the connection ports on both devices.
- Now, connect the cable again firmly and check the audio.
2. Choose the Correct Output on the TV
Another reason is that the wrong output is chosen on your TV. As you know, the TV has multiple connection ports. Hence, you have to choose the one to which the soundbar is connected.
- On the TV remote, press the menu button and go to “Settings”.
- Next, choose the “Sound/Audio Output” tab.
- Select your Vizio speaker as the external audio device.
- Likewise, check the input settings on your TV.
- Press the “Source” or “Input” button on the remote control.
- The screen will show you various options such as HDMI 1, HDMI 2, Optical, or AUX.
- Choose the Optical and apply the settings. Now, check if the sound comes or not.
3. Use A Different Type of Connection Cable
If still your Optical cable is not giving sound, you can use another type of cable. For example, HDMI or RCA are also good options to establish a connection between your TV and soundbar.
Use any one of them instead of the Optical. This solution has been suggested by the manufacturer.
4. Replace the Cable
Your Optical cable might be defective. Therefore, the device has stopped working. The cable may be too old, frayed, or worn out. You should examine the cable along its entire length.
Notice any cuts, bends, twists, or exposed areas. Repair the minor cuts if you find any. Otherwise, replace the faulty cable with a new one.
5. Troubleshoot the App
In some cases, the issue is related to a specific app. Whenever you play through a certain application, sound does not come. While it works well through other apps or programs.
For example, some users reported that sound issue occurs only with the Hulu app. I recommend you try playing the sound from various apps.
Find the problematic application, and update or uninstall it. Then, reinstall the Hulu or the problematic app and restart your TV.
6. Check the Source Device
The source device such as a TV, DVD player, streaming/gaming device, etc. can be the culprit. The issue is neither in the soundbar nor in the Optical cable.
Hence, you should also check and fix the source device. Disconnect the soundbar from the current device and connect to some other one.
In this way, you can check which part of the system is faulty. Troubleshoot the source device by power cycling, resetting, or updating.
7. Update Vizio Firmware
A software bug can be the reason behind the no-sound problem. Hence, you should update the Vizio firmware. It will remove the software glitch along with adding new features to your device. Here are three methods for update:
Method 1: Manual
- Turn ON your soundbar and check if it is connected to Wifi.
- Now, go to the “Menu” or “Settings” on your soundbar.
- Navigate to the “Update” tab and check if any updates are available.
- Download the latest firmware update by following the instructions shown on the screen.
Method 2: Smart Cast App
- You can also update your Vizio soundbar via the Smart Cast app.
- Once the update process is complete, restart the device.
- Finally, check whether the audio is coming or not.
Method 3: USB
- Another easy way is to install the update directly from the Vizio website.
- Visit the Vizio Support page on your computer, locate the search bar, and enter the model number.
- If an update is available, the screen will show you the model and firmware version.
- Download the firmware update file on your computer. Insert a USB drive into the computer and transfer the file into it.
- Now, unplug your Vizio from the power source. Plug the USB drive into your soundbar and connect it to the power outlet.
- The LED lights will start blinking and the process will start.
- Once the update is done, unplug the USB and restart the device.
8. Factory Reset Your Vizio Soundbar
Most probably, it happened due to some software error or wrong settings. For example, one of the users reported that he hit the Bluetooth button accidentally while the soundbar was connected through Optical.
Since then, the sound is not working. To resolve such issues, you should reset the soundbar to factory settings by following these steps:
- Unplug the soundbar from the wall power outlet.
- Wait a few seconds and then connect the power again.
- Once the soundbar is turned ON, hold down the “Bluetooth” and “Volume Down” buttons at the same time.
- This will reset the device to the factory settings.
Note: You have to press the physical buttons on the soundbar not on the remote control. Consult the user manual to confirm the correct hard reset method for your specific Vizio model.
Frequently Asked Questions About Vizio Soundbar
Here are some common but important questions that may come to your mind regarding the Vizio soundbar.
Does Vizio soundbar have a mobile app?
Yes, the Vizio soundbar is supported by the Smart Cast mobile app. It allows you full control of the device. For example, you can search for songs and create a playlist. Moreover, you can change the volume, audio settings, channels, and other settings through the app.
Why my Vizio soundbar is not working with Optical cable?
The most probable reason is that the Optical cable is faulty or loosely connected. Other causes include outdated firmware, wrong input, or settings. Similarly, the issue may be related to the connected source device or a specific application.
Why my Vizio soundbar is not working or responding?
Power cycle, soft reset, and hard reset your Vizio soundbar if it is not turning ON or responding. Use the physical power button instead of the remote control. Likewise, check the power source and connect to a different outlet.
Also read: Troubleshoot the Vizio Soundbar Not Working
There are multiple solutions to fix your Vizio soundbar that gives no sound through Optical cable. If nothing helps, you should replace the cable or try a different type of cable such as HDMI or RCA. There is no shortage of connectivity options on Vizio soundbars. Hopefully, this guide has helped you.