Sonos speakers and soundbars come in different models. Soundbars are heavy, hence not portable. Many Sonos products are not supported by Bluetooth. So, you can use other methods to connect them with your iPhone.
However, Sonos Move and Sonos Roam are portable Bluetooth speakers. You can connect them to your iPhone through Bluetooth. While non-portable speakers can be connected through the Sonos app or AirPlay.
Note that AirPlay cannot work on the Sonos speakers which are being used as surround speakers. Moreover, you cannot play music on Sonos while making a call through your iPhone.
1. Connect via AirPlay
If you own a Sonos speaker or soundbar with no Bluetooth support, you can use AirPlay for connecting with your iPhone. AirPlay also works on iPad and Mac. It allows you to play music directly on your Sonos through your iPhone.
Both AirPlay 1 and AirPlay 2 are suitable to play music on Sonos. But, on AirPlay 1 audio interruptions are faced. Almost all of the Sonos audio devices are compatible with AirPlay.
Follow these instructions to connect your Sonos to your iPhone.
- On your iPhone, swipe down from the top right.
- Open “Control Center” on your iPhone.
- Tap the right-hand corner on the top of the screen to find the audio card.
- Next, click on the “AirPlay” icon.
- Add your Sonos speaker or soundbar.
- Now, you can play music on your iPhone on the Sonos.
In addition, you can also add more than one Sonos product. Your iPhone audio will be played on all the connected devices.
If you have the Apple Music app downloaded on your iPhone, it can be used to play AirPlay audio. You just need to add your Sonos to the app. Start the app, click on the “AirPlay” icon, and select your Sonos here.
Related: Connect Sonos To A New Wifi
2. Connect via Sonos App
Sonos app is free to download on any iOS or Android device. Just install it on your device. It allows you to control all Sonos devices in your home. Moreover, you can also use this app to play your iPhone music on Sonos speakers.
Follow the guidelines given below;
- Go to the app store on your iPhone.
- Download and install the Sonos app.
- Connect your iPhone to the same Wifi network to which your Sonos is connected.
- Plug in your Sonos and turn it on.
- Open and run the Sonos app. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the app.
- Go to the Room list and add your iPhone here.
Now, you can play your iPhone system music files on your Sonos. You can also play music from other streaming services and playlists. For example, iTunes and Internet Radio. Additionally, you can make an account and sign in to online music streaming services such as Pandora and Spotify.
3. Connect via Bluetooth
Portable Sonos speakers are equipped with Bluetooth. They can be connected to your iPhone very easily. But, before pairing, connect your Sonos to the Sonos app on your iPhone. Bluetooth pairing limits some features such as grouping, voice assistants, Trueplay, and stereo pairing.
Let us understand how you can connect Sonos Move and Sonos Roam to your iPhone via Bluetooth.
Pair Sonos Move to Your iPhone
- The Bluetooth button is present on the rear of Sonos Move. Press this button to turn the Bluetooth on.
- The device will produce a chime and the LED indicator will glow blue.
- Now, press and hold the Bluetooth button until the Move chimes and the light indicator blinks blue.
- Next, open Settings on your iPhone. Turn the Bluetooth on and search for the available devices.
- You will see your Sonos Move in the list of devices. Pair it with your iPhone.
- The LED indicator on the Move will turn solid blue if the pairing is successful.
Pair Sonos Roam to Your iPhone
Pairing Sonos Roam has a different method. It does not have a Bluetooth button rather you have to use the power button to pair with a Bluetooth device. However, just like the Move, Roam also needs to set up with the Sonos app.
Now, follow these guidelines to pair your Sonos Roam with your iPhone.
- Turn on your Sonos Roam. The power button is located on the back of the speaker.
- Press and hold the power button just for 2 seconds. Release when the device chimes and the LED indicator flashes blue.
- On your iPhone, turn the Bluetooth on. Search for the available devices and choose Sonos Roam.
- Both devices will pair in a few seconds. The successful pairing is indicated by the solid blue LED and a specific tone from Sonos Roam.
Related: Fix Sonos Speaker Not Found
This article listed 3 methods of connecting Sonos to the iPhone. You can use either depending on the Sonos model you own. All these methods are verified. Sometimes, the devices cannot be paired. If you face this issue, make sure your Sonos is powered on. Restart or reboot both devices. These tricks will solve the problem.
Hi, I’m Noor Alam, founder of SpeakersMag.com. I love music and got my Bachelor’s degree in Sound Engineering. Now I have started my own blog about music products. Just like you, I also love different music products and in my spare time, I share my knowledge with audio lovers on this site.