This is a practical guide in which you will learn to connect your phone to Xbox One via USB. It relies on verified approaches tested by our team.
Xbox One is the successor of the 360 and was launched in 2013. Many latest gaming consoles have been released. But, it is still popular among gamers.
By connecting the two devices, you can share the media content of your phone to the console. Stream audio, video, images, and games. So, let us start.
Table of Contents
Connect Phone to Xbox One: A Step-by-Step Guide
This method is very simple and easy. You just need a compatible USB cable. So, follow these steps to link both devices.
This method makes a direct connection between the two devices.
Step 1: Connect the Devices
- Take the USB connector cable provided with your smartphone.
- Insert the one end of the cable into your phone.
- Plug the other end of the cord into one of the USB ports on the front panel of the Xbox One.
- Now, turn ON your game console.
Step 2: Start Streaming
- Select “My Xbox” from the list of available options.
- Next, choose “Portable Device”. Xbox One will display the media files of your phone in the form of a list.
- So, you can browse and play your favorite content.
- Link the controller with your console. Click the green button on the controller to play any media file.
- You can stream any video or game, and can also access your phone’s camera.
If method 1 does not work, you have to try another way.
- Purchase a USB OTG adapter. It is available on Amazon as well as a nearby accessories store.
- Plug the micro end of the adapter into your phone.
- Insert the USB cable into the other end of the adapter. Finally, insert the cable into your console.
It works as the carrier between two devices. A direct connection may not be successful. Therefore, you have to rely on the adapter.
Your phone can be found under the heading “Devices” on the console. The streaming process is the same as described in method 1.
Troubleshoot: Xbox One is not Connecting to the Phone via USB
Sometimes, the console fails to connect with the phone. In this case, you have to check the following things;
- The cable should not be damaged or broken.
- Check the connectors on both devices as well as on the cable.
- Try a different USB cable. Replace the current one if it is not working at all.
- Clean the connection ports on the phone and console. Dust or debris may be accumulated and prevent the linkage.
- Plug the cord into a different USB port on your console.
- Make sure the console has enough power.
Charge your phone and try again.
- Update your console and smartphone to the latest firmware version.
- Restart both devices. Try a different mobile device to check which of the devices is faulty.
FAQs About Xbox One
If you want to learn more, read the following queries. These are the most frequently asked questions by the users.
How can I reset my Xbox One Console?
If your console is not working or not connecting, reset it. Disconnect the console from the wall power outlet. Plug out the power cord from the back panel. The LED light should turn orange upon disconnecting the power. Wait for 2 minutes and plug the power cord again.
How can I stream videos from my iPhone to Xbox One?
Xbox One supports built-in AirPlay. So, you can mirror media from your iPhone or iPad to the console. Open the “Control Center” on your iPhone. Click on “Screen Mirroring” and choose your Xbox One from the list of devices. Now, play a file and it will stream on the console.
How to connect Xbox One to my phone wirelessly?
The manufacturer has launched the “SmartGlass” app. Download this app on your phone and complete the setup process. Your phone will be wirelessly linked to the console. Browse TV shows, play games, and watch videos using this app. It is compatible with Android, iOS, Windows 10 and 8 computers.
How can I transfer files between my phone and Xbox One?
Xbox One does not support any specific file transfer feature. However, you can use a USB flash drive for this purpose. Insert the USB stick into your console and transfer the media. Now, insert this stick into your phone using a USB adapter. You can transfer games, movies, pictures, or any media content through this method.
What is the Purpose of USB ports on Xbox One?
The USB ports are available to connect to an external hard drive such as flash. These ports make file and media transfer easier. You can download and store many games via the external hard drive. The operating system and Media Center of Xbox One are simple and flexible.
What to do if USB ports are not working on my Xbox One?
Just disconnect the device plugged into the USB port on your console. Restart the console and insert the device again. Try a different USB port on the console. Also, make sure the device is working. Moreover, reset and power cycle your console.
Related: Fix Sync Button on Xbox One
In this article, I have shared two practical methods to connect your phone to Xbox One via USB. Hopefully, it has helped you. Keep following Speakersmag for more updates and guides.
Hi, I’m Noor Alam, founder of SpeakersMag.com. I love music and got my Bachelor’s degree in Sound Engineering. Now I have started my own blog about music products. Just like you, I also love different music products and in my spare time, I share my knowledge with audio lovers on this site. Read more about me