I heard many people reporting a common problem. That is their Xbox controller is paired to the PC but not connected.
The PC or phone shows that the controller is paired over Bluetooth. But, it does not work. It means the device is not paired in reality.
Table of Contents
Why Should You Follow this Guide?
My younger cousin faced the same issue. Previously, his Xbox Elite was failing to pair with the PC. Now, it was paired but not working.
As I resolved his previous problem, he came to me with hope. So, now, it was my obligation to do something for him. With a little effort, I sorted out the problem.
The Bluetooth drivers on his PC were outdated. In upgraded his computer. However, before that, I tried some simple troubleshooting steps as they work in many cases.
In this guide, I will list all the hacks that worked for me. Surely, they will also help you fix the pairing issue.
1. Reconnect Bluetooth
Disable Bluetooth on both devices. Go to Settings on your PC, and remove your Xbox from the list of paired devices. Reboot and restart your computer.
Go to “Action Center” on your computer. Make sure Bluetooth is turned ON and the Airplane mode is OFF. If you are using a Bluetooth adapter, make sure it is working fine.
Unplug the adapter, wait for 2 minutes, and plug it back again. Connect the adapter to a different USB port. This can help solve the problem.
2. Check Bluetooth Settings
Incorrect Bluetooth settings may be causing the issue. Hence, you need to check them;
- In the Windows search box, type “Control Panel” and expand it.
- Select the “View by Category”. Next, click on “Devices and Printers”.
- Locate your Xbox controller from the list of devices. Right-click on it and choose “Properties”.
- Tap the “Services” tab and check all the options.
- Click the “Apply” and “OK” button. Close the window.
3. Restart Bluetooth Services
If a simple restart does not work, try it via the “Services”. The process is as follows;
- On your computer keyboard, press the Windows key and “R” at the same time.
- A dialogue box will appear, type “services.msc” in it. Then, click the “OK” button.
- The “Services” menu will appear on the screen. Navigate to the “Bluetooth Support Service” and right-click.
- Tap the “Restart” button. Double-clik the “Bluetooth Support Service”.
- The “Properties” window will open, click the “Startup type” and then hit “Automatic”.
- Hit the “Apply” button and then the “OK” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Close the Services Window and turn Bluetooth ON and OFF.
4. Use Other Connection Methods
If the device is still not working, try the other connection methods. You can access Bluetooth in other ways also.
Connect from Action Center
- On the bottom right of your PC screen, click the “Action Center” icon.
- Next, tap the “Connect” button.
- Choose your Xbox from the list of paired devices.
Connect from Settings
- Instead of connecting the device via screen icon, pair through settings.
- On the bottom left of the PC screen, press the Windows key and “I” button on the keyboard.
- Click “Devices” and then “Bluetooth & other devices”.
- Locate your Xbox in the “Audio” section.
- Click the “Remove Device” button to unpair the devices.
- Restart your Xbox controller. Go to the Bluetooth settings following the same step on your computer.
- This time, tap the “Connect” button.
5. Make Xbox Controller Default Bluetooth Device
Making Xbox the default Bluetooth device can solve the issue. I found this hack very useful. You can do it as follows;
- On your computer keyboard, press the “Windows+R” key. In the “Run” window, type “mmsys.cpl”.
- Hit the “OK” button and a “Sound” window will open. Click your Xbox controller and then choose “Set as default”.
- Next, click the “Apply” and the “OK” button. Save changes and close the operation.
- Restart your PC and pair the devices again.
6. Restart Your Xbox Controller
Restart is a simple but effective hack. It is useful to eliminate temporary glitches. Just turn OFF your controller by pressing the Xbox button for 6 seconds.
Wait for 60 seconds and then turn ON the device again. Now, repair it with your computer. Kindly repeat the process 2-3 times if it does not work on the first attempt.
7. Replace the Batteries
Your controller may be using the replaceable batteries. So, check them if they are too old. The batteries may have expired. That’s why the device is not working.
Likewise, charge your device if it has a rechargeable battery. However, if you connect via USB cable, the batteries are not required.
8. Disconnect Other Devices
Make sure your no Bluetooth device is paired with your PC. For example, headphones, speaker, mouse, keyboard or any other device.
Because computer can connect with one wireless device at a time. Although your Xbox will pair up yet it will not work. So, disconnect all other devices and pair your controller.
9. Install Latest Update
Newer updates are very necessary. You should install a latest version without any delay. Because the older firmware have bugs and cannot work with the latest Windows PC.
Connect the controller to an Xbox consoles to update it. If you do not have one, borrow from some friend. Another method is to install the “Xbox Accessories” app on your computer.
Connect the controller with the PC using a USB cable. Run the software app and follow the on-screen instructions to download the updated version.
10. Uninstall and Reinstall the Bluetooth Drivers
Bluetooth drivers may be missing or corrupted. Uninstalling and reinstalling them can help fix the issue.
- On your keyboard, press Windows key and the “R” button at the same time.
- In the dialogue box, type “devmgmt.msc”.
- Next, click the “OK” button. The “Device Manager” section will open, click the “Bluetooth” and expand it.
- Next, right-click the “Bluetooth” adapter and then “Uninstall Device”.
- Restart your PC and drivers will reinstall automatically. If this method does not work, do it manually.
- Open “Device Manager” and click “Action”.
- Next, choose “Scan for Hardware changes”.
- This action will reinstall the drivers automatically. Close the current window and restart your computer.
- Finally, connect Xbox and check if it is working or not.
11. Update Bluetooth Drivers
Bluetooth drives are outdated, missing, or corrupted at your computer. Therefore, the Xbox cannot work. Other devices may still work on your computer.
So, you have to update the Bluetooth drivers. Simply, download the “Driver Easy” on your PC. It is a free software program that scans your computer and finds the missing drivers.
Run the program and do as directed. Click the “Update All” button to download all the missing drivers. This program has both free and paid versions. You can go according to your convenience.
You may also like: Xbox Series X Controller Won’t Connect to PC
FAQs About Xbox Controller
Asking questions is a healthy practice. It indicates that you are learning and understanding things. Therefore, I am going to address your common questions here.
How to fix my Xbox controller not responding?
You should restart the controller if it is not working. Press and hold the Xbox logo button for 6 seconds or until it turns OFF. Wait a few moments and press the button again to turn it ON.
Why my Xbox controller flashing but not turning ON?
It can be due to low power or dying batteries. So, replace the batteries or charge them. Unplug the device from power outlet, wait for 20 minutes and plug back again. Also, reset or restart your Xbox.
Is wired or wireless gaming better on Xbox?
Overall, wireless Bluetooth gaming is good. But, while playing multiplayer games wirelessly such as sports and shooting, you may face some lag. So, you can go for wired connection to avoid any risk of losing the game.
Most probably, your PC is the culprit. However, sometimes, the controller is also faulty. Therefore, you have to troubleshoot both. Bluetooth needs to be fixed on your computer.
Hence, I have mentioned multiple methods to repair the wireless connectivity. Hopefully, your Xbox controller is now paired, connected, and responsive.
Hi, I’m Noor Alam, founder of SpeakersMag.com. I love music and got my Bachelor’s degree in Sound Engineering. Now I have started my own blog about music products. Just like you, I also love different music products and in my spare time, I share my knowledge with audio lovers on this site. Read more about me