Motorola is one of the popular smartphone brands. However, many users complain that their Moto phone has no sound and the audio has suddenly vanished.
This problem has a number of reasons. For example, it may be a software issue or due to some hardware defect.
Sometimes, careless handling on the part of the user can also cause no sound issue.
We have found the best working solutions for your Moto phone. Let us try these tricks one by one.
1. Some Basic Checks
First of all, check the volume buttons and make sure that it is working. Increase the volume to the highest level. Also, check the on-screen volume controls.
Make sure your phone is not in silent mode or muted. Sometimes, the sound issue arises while making calls, or other times it happens while playing media.
So, you need to check both media and ringtone volumes from ‘Settings’. Also, turn OFF the ‘Equalizer’ from the ‘Speakers’ option in the ‘Settings’.
2. Clean the Ports and Speakers
Dirty speakers or ports can also cause no sound problem on your Moto phone. The speakers catch too much dust that traps inside.
The sound is blocked, comes muffled, or stops coming at all. So, you should clean the speakers and headphones port of your phone.
Because sometimes, debris traps inside the headphones port, and the phone thinks it is connected to headphones. Thus, sound does not come at all.
You can use sticky tack, toothbrush, paintbrush, toothpick, compressed air can, or other things to clean the speakers and ports.
But, avoid using sharp tools, it may harm your device. Usually, the cleaning method for all phone speakers is the same.
Read our guide to “How to Clean iPhone Speaker Slot”. It explains in detail that how can you clean the speakers of your phone.
The headphones port can be cleaned using a toothpick or sticky tack.
3. Disconnect the Headphones
If the sound is not coming when headphones are connected, unplug them. Increase the volume level and check the sound now.
Sometimes, the phone thinks that headphones are still connected even if you have unplugged them. In this case, sound comes through headphones but not from the phone speakers.
You can confirm this by listening to the headphones sound. Connect and disconnect the headphones twice or thrice to solve the issue.
4. Remove SD Card
The no sound problem can also be caused by a corrupted SD card or flash drive. Simply, remove the SD card from your Moto.
Now, check the sound. If it is working, the SD card is the culprit. However, if the sound still does not work then the problem is caused by some other reason.
5. Turn OFF Bluetooth
Moreover, disconnect your Moto from any Bluetooth device, it may be directing sound to an external speaker.
This also happens when you forget to disconnect your Moto from car speakers.
It stays synchronized with Bluetooth. Hence, incoming calls and music give no sound. So, turn OFF Bluetooth on your Moto phone.
6. Tap the Device
Some users report that a simple tapping solved their issue. Maybe the speaker connection is loose or something is stuck inside.
Therefore, the sound is not coming out. Tap the speakers gently and check for improvement. But, do not slap too hard.
7. Clear Cache
Clearing app cache can help solve the issue. Motorola itself recommends this trick to solve all software-related issues including the sound problem. The process is as follows;
- Open ‘Settings’ and navigate to ‘Configuration’.
- Next, tap ‘Storage’ and then choose ‘Internal Storage’.
- Click the ‘Cached Data’ option and select ‘Clear’.
- Afterward, restart your Moto phone and check whether the sound is coming or not.
8. Reset the App Preferences
Maybe some of the apps are interfering with the sound of your Moto phone. You cannot figure out which app is the culprit.
So, the best trick is to reset the app preferences. It will restore the original app settings and the sound problem will be gone. The method is as follows;
- On your Moto phone, open ‘Settings’.
- Go to ‘Configuration’ and then click on the ‘Applications’ tab. Click the 3 dots at the upper right corner of the screen.
- Choose the option ‘Reset preferences’ and then tap ‘Reset Applications’.
- Check the sound now, if it is still not working, follow the next solution.
9. Delete Suspicious Apps
Installing too many apps can also create a sound issue. While some apps may be carrying malware or bugs. Avoid allowing access and permissions to all apps.
Review the recently downloaded apps and delete the extras. Delete them one by one and keep on checking the sound performance on each delete.
This way you can find the application that is causing the issue. Deleting app data can also help if you do not want to delete certain apps.
- Go to ‘Settings’ and choose ‘Apps & notifications.
- Next, choose ‘All Apps’, it will show you both built-in and installed apps.
- Tap the most used app and then click ‘Storage’.
- Click the ‘Clear Data’ button and then press ‘OK’.
- Hopefully, it will help fix no sound issue on your Moto.
10. Update Software
The sound issue may be caused by some system bugs. Updating the software can remove the bugs. So, it is likely to solve the sound problem. The update process is as follows;
- Open ‘Settings’ on your Moto phone.
- Click the ‘About Phone’ option and then navigate to ‘System Updates’.
- Download and install the latest software version if it is available.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Restart your Moto phone and check the sound.
11. Wipe Cache Partition
This is a very effective trick to solve the sound problem. The process is as follows;
- Turn OFF your Moto phone, wait for the screen to go off.
- Now, press and hold the ‘Volume UP’, ‘Volume Down’, and ‘Power’ buttons at the same time.
- Boot options will appear on the screen, highlight the ‘Recovery’ option using the ‘Volume Down’ key.
- Press the ‘Volume Up’ button to select this option.
- At this point, the Motorola logo should appear on the screen.
- Now, press and hold the ‘Volume Down’ and ‘Volume Up’, blue text options will display on the screen.
- Choose ‘Wipe Cache Partition’ by pressing the ‘Volume Down’ button, press the ‘Power’ key to select it.
- Confirm the ‘Reboot’ by pressing the ‘Power’ key.
- Once the process is complete, test the sound of your Moto phone.
12. Restart in Safe Mode
First, restart your Moto phone. Just turn it OFF completely, wait for a few seconds and then turn ON again. If this does not work, try to reboot in safe mode.
It works as a diagnostic mode and finds the troubling apps. Because it temporarily disables the installed apps. Follow these steps correctly;
- Press and hold the ‘Power’ button, release when the ‘Power OFF’ option appears.
- Now, touch and hold the ‘Power OFF’ tab until the screen displays ‘Reboot to Safe Mode’.
- Next, click the ‘OK’ button to confirm the process.
- Within 30 seconds, reboot ‘Safe Mode’ will show on the bottom left of the unlock or Home screen.
- Now, perform various functions to check sound, make calls, play media, and ringtones.
- Your Moto should give sound if the issue is app-related. However, if it is still producing no sound, the phone itself has problems.
- Restart your Moto phone to exit the Safe Mode.
13. Perform a Factory Reset
This is the last option to resolve software-related issues. First, you must try all of the above-mentioned solutions then consider a factory reset.
It is risky because it will delete all the data and settings on your Moto. So, it is recommended to back up the important data.
However, you should give a chance to factory restore before going to hardware fixes.
- Back up all the data to Google Drive or to your PC.
- Now, open ‘Settings’ and choose the ‘Backup & Reset’ option.
- Next, choose ‘Factory Data Reset’.
- Confirm by clicking the ‘Reset’ button.
- Restart your Moto phone after the factory restores and check its sound performance.
14. Hardware Failure
If all these solutions including a factory reset cannot revive sound on your phone, its hardware has failed.
Most probably, the speakers have expired or got defective. In some cases, the speakers lose connection with the main circuit.
In other cases, they get damaged completely. One of the reasons for hardware failure is water or moisture contact, it enters the speakers and spoils them.
Another reason is shock, you might have dropped your phone on the ground. Replacing the speakers is the final solution in this case. But, you need to consult a professional or Motorola.
Contact Motorola if the speakers of your phone have been damaged. Ask for a refund or replacement if the phone is brand new and you did no harm to it.
It is a manufacturing fault if a brand new phone does not give sound. However, if it has an expired warranty, you will have to spend some money on replacement.
Alternately, consider replacing your old phone, check the latest Motorola models on Amazon.
We hope you liked our effort in fixing your Motorola phone that has no sound. We will appreciate it if you tell us which of the solutions worked for you.