JBL speakers are equipped with LED lights that blink and glow to indicate certain statuses. Sometimes, the light blinks or glows solid red to indicate battery status. At other times, your JBL speaker may be blinking white during charging.
In simple terms, the red light informs that the battery is low while the white light shows the device is charging. However, in certain cases, your speaker never stops blinking white light or does not charge.
On a number of JBL speakers, a blinking white light means that the device is in standby mode. This issue is fixable provided that you correctly follow all the instructions mentioned in this guide.
Understand the Problem
There are various situations of the problem. For example;
- Your JBL blinks white but cannot charge although it is connected to a power source. This happens due to insufficient power supply.
- Likewise, the light keeps on blinking even after you have disconnected the device from the power source. This indicates a problem in the firmware.
- Another problem is that the speaker produces strange noises along with blinking white light. It happens due to a bad charging cable or faulty port.
1. Check the Power Source
The power supply is insufficient, that’s why the speaker blinks white light but does not charge. So, make sure the power outlet is working properly. Disconnect and reconnect the charger.
You might be charging your JBL through a laptop. The USB port cannot provide sufficient power as it features 500 mA which is less than the speaker’s requirements.
Moreover, connect the charger directly to the power outlet instead of using an extension cord or power strip.
2. Update the Firmware
As mentioned earlier, the speaker may keep on blinking white light. It indicates that the firmware needs to be updated. Follow these steps:
- Download or launch the JBL Portable App on your smartphone.
- Connect your phone to the speaker via Bluetooth.
- Navigate through the app and check if any update is available.
- Download the latest firmware by following the on-screen prompts.
- Restart your phone and the speaker, connect them again and check if the issue is resolved or not.
3. Reset Your JBL Speaker
Another solution is to reset your JBL speaker. The process may vary slightly across different models of JBL. However, a general method is as follows:
- On your JBL speaker, press the Power button 3 times.
- If it does not work, increase the number of times and go up to 8 times.
- Another way is to hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.
- Press the “Volume Up” and the “Play” button simultaneously for 10-20 seconds.
- Release the buttons when the status light turns OFF.
- This will reset your device thus resolving the blinking light issue.
4. Examine the Charging Cable
A bad charging cable is another reason for the blinking white light issue. Examine the charging cable and look for any defects, exposed areas, cuts or bends.
Replace the cable if the old one is damaged. The best practice is to use the original charging cable that was provided with your speaker.
5. Clean the Charging Port
In some cases, the charging port is blocked. Moisture, dirt, salt or debris is trapped inside the charging hole. Therefore, the power cannot be supplied fully.
White light blinks to indicate a weak connection. So, clean the port thoroughly using a toothpick and toothbrush. Blow into the port to remove any remaining debris.
Leave the speaker to dry out if you suspect any moisture. You can also use a hair dryer to dry out the moisture.
But, use it from a distance for 3-5 minutes, at a low speed. Then, connect the charger again and see if the issue is resolved or not.
6. Check the Battery
JBL speakers are equipped with powerful batteries. However, over time, the battery becomes weak. Although it receives current yet cannot store it.
Therefore, the light indicator blinks white continuously. If your speaker is too old, its battery may have expired.
Hence, battery replacement is the only solution. But, choose a compatible battery and prefer to buy from the company.
7. Contact JBL Customer Support
If nothing helps, you need to contact JBL customer support. The charging port may be faulty or the battery is dead. In this case, you need to replace the port or the battery.
However, avoid opening your speaker at home. Instead, ask the company for help and send your speaker for a repair. You will get free technical assistance if the speaker is under warranty.
Frequently Asked Questions
Read the following common questions to know more about your JBL speaker. Feel free to ask further queries.
What do different lights indicate on my JBL speaker?
When your JBL speaker is turned ON, the blue lights flash. When the device tries to connect via Bluetooth, you will notice alternating blue/red lights. A solid blue light shows that the speaker is connected to a Bluetooth device. Similarly, a red light informs that the battery is low and needs charging.
Can I overcharge my JBL devices?
Whether you own a JBL speaker or headphones, avoid overcharging. Because it can cause damage to the battery. Disconnect the charger as soon as the device is charged. Also, avoid undercharging the devices, and connect the power when the battery gets low.
Can I use my JBL speaker while it is charging?
JBL speakers are equipped with a PCM circuit that manages the charging process. So, you can use the device while it is charging. However, I recommend you avoid this to protect the overall health of your speaker.
JBL speaker blinking white light may or may not be a matter of consideration. If the speaker is charging properly, it is not an issue. You should read the user’s guide of your specific JBL model to determine the meaning of white light. However, if it appears to be a serious problem, you can troubleshoot the device by following our guide.