Bose speakers and soundbars do not offer a power button to turn them ON. The only way to turn ON Bose speakers and soundbars is by using a remote control.
There could be many problems with the remote control. Once your remote stops functioning, there is no way to turn ON the speaker or soundbar.
You may be facing either of these two problems: The remote control stopped working or the remote is lost.
If your remote has stopped working, there is a chance to turn ON your Bose speaker or soundbar. Let’s see how.
Multiple Ways of Turning ON Bose Speakers & Soundbars Without Original Remote
If the remote control of your Bose speaker/soundbar is lost, you have the following options:
- Use your mobile as a remote control
- Activate the ‘Auto-Wake’ feature
- Use your TV remote
- Use a universal remote
- Enable Power-Sync feature
- Buy another Remote for your Bose speaker or soundbar
- Program your own remote for a Bose speaker or soundbar
1. Use Your Smartphone to Turn ON Bose Soundbar
Fortunately, you can control and turn ON your Bose soundbar or speaker through your smartphone. Whether it is an Android or an iPhone, the process works for both.
1. Update the Bose Soundbar/Speaker
Before pairing your smartphone to the Bose soundbar and using it as a remote control, you should update the device firmware.
It is necessary because the older versions cannot work with the IR sensors. While the new firmware versions come with the IR learning function.
It can be updated either by a computer or through the Bose mobile app. Just connect the Bose soundbar with your mobile phone and update the firmware through the app. The process of using a computer is as follows;
- Open the Bose Updater page on your browser.
- Select your region, and click the ‘Download’ button to save the update file.
- Run the ‘Bose updater file’ and wait for the installation process to complete.
- Now, take a USB cable and plug one end into the computer and the other end into your Bose soundbar or speaker.
- Open the Bose Updater file on your computer, and click ‘Install All the Available Updates’.
- Once the installation is done, disconnect the computer from the soundbar.
2. Convert Your Phone into Remote Control
Most smartphones have an IR or Infrared blaster in the form of a tiny hole. This can be used to send IR signals to devices just like a remote.
- Go to Play Store on your Android phone and Apple Store on your iPhone. Download the ‘ControlSpace Remote Custom‘ app.
- Launch the app and allow permission if it asks.
- You will be directed to the main Homepage of the app and find the power ON/OFF settings.
- The interface of this app is a little bit complicated. So, you have to try a few times to comprehend it.
- This app can also perform all other control functions and can be easily used as a mobile remote for your Bose audio devices.
2. Activate the Auto-Wake Feature
Bose soundbars feature certain functions such as ‘Auto-Wake’ and ‘Power-Sync’. The Auto-Wake feature programs your soundbar with a connected device such as a TV or a cable box.
So, when you turn ON your TV, the soundbar turns ON automatically. This function is very helpful if you have lost the Bose remote. The process is as follows;
Setup the App
- Connect your Bose speaker/soundbar to the same Wifi network to which your smartphone is connected.
- Plug the soundbar into a power outlet to power it ON.
- Now, download the Bose Music app on your phone and launch the app.
- Log in to the app using your Bose Music account. If you do not have an account, set it up as a new user.
- Complete the setup process by following the on-screen prompts. Allow the app access to your phones such as Bluetooth and Wifi.
Sync Your Bose Soundbar/Speaker
- Once, you reach the main interface of the app, click ‘Speakers & soundbars’.
- Choose the ‘Add product’ option and select your Bose soundbar or speaker from the list, left or right.
- If you do not see this option then click the top left icon on the screen and tap the ‘+’ sign to add a device.
- Find your Wifi network, type the password, and click ‘Connect’ or choose ‘Manually Enter Wifi’.
- Choose your Bose soundbar name from the list or create your own customized name, and click ‘Next’.
- Now, connect your Bose soundbar/speaker to your TV using an HDMI cable and plug it into an HDMI ARC or eARC port.
Enable Auto-Wake Feature
- Finally, click ‘Get Started’ and go to the Homepage of the app.
- Click your Bose soundbar/speaker you recently connected to the app.
- Tap the ‘Settings’ icon and then ‘Power’. Choose the ‘Optical Auto-Wake’ and turn it ON.
This is all about the setup. Now, whenever you will turn ON your TV, the soundbar will be powered ON automatically. Hence, you do not need a remote control anymore.
If you are having trouble connecting the Bose soundbar to the app, find the solution in this guide.
3. Use Your TV Remote to Turn ON Bose Soundbar
You can also use your TV remote to control and turn ON your Bose soundbar or speaker. But, for this, your TV should support the HDMI CEC feature.
It is called ‘Consumer Electronics Control’ and allows two-way data transmission between the TV and the linked devices. Read your TV’s specifications or see in the user manual whether it supports HDMI CEC or not.
All you need to do is connect your soundbar or speaker to the TV via the port labeled as ‘HDMI ARC’ or ‘eARC’. Then, enable HDMI CEC on your TV;
- Press the menu button on the TV remote and open ‘Settings’.
- Go to the ‘General’ tab and click ‘External Device Manager’ or a similar option.
- Find the ‘HDMI-CEC’ and enable it.
- Note that HDMI CEC may have a different name on your TV brand. You can know further details here.
Also read: The Method to Connect Bose Soundbar to TV
4. Program a Universal Remote Control
Many universal remote controls are available in the market. A universal remote control is not for one device only. It can control a lot of devices.
Many people already have a universal remote at home. This is the best method to turn ON your Bose speaker or soundbar without an original remote.
The remote can be programmed by the following method;
- Launch the Bose Music app on your phone and open ‘Settings’.
- Click on the ‘Universal Remote’ tab and then choose ‘Advanced’.
- Click ‘Pair New Remote’. Now, remove the batteries of the universal remote control and reinsert them after 30 seconds.
- The app will detect your remote and will pair with it.
- Finally, tap ‘Continue’ and start operating your Bose speaker/soundbar with it.
5. Enable Power Sync Function
It is another helpful function to turn ON your Bose soundbar or speaker without a remote. Just like Auto-Wake, Power-Sync also turns ON/OFF your soundbar automatically.
For example, if you turn ON your TV, the Bose soundbar will also turn ON, the same works for power OFF. The method to activate this feature is as follows;
- Open the Bose Music app on your phone and click the ‘Settings’ icon on the top right of the screen.
- Navigate to the ‘Power’ tab, click the ‘Power Sync’, and enable it by toggling the switch to the ON position.
- Next, sync your Bose soundbar with your favorite connected device.
- Click ‘Sync with TV’ or ‘Sync with Source’- the cable box.
6. Bose Remote Control Replacement
If your original Bose remote is lost, you can buy a replacement. You can buy a new remote for your particular Bose speaker or soundbar from the Bose site.
If you are unable to find it there, contact your local Bose support and they will provide you a better solution as they did to many other people.
Related: Best Bose Computer Speakers
Troubleshooting Bose Remote Control Not Working and the Speaker/Soundbar Not Turning ON
Some users complain that their Bose soundbar is not working or turning ON. Likewise, the remote control also stops working at times. Follow these instructions if you encounter such an issue:
- Check if your speaker is connected to the working outlet. If you are not sure, try changing the outlet that is 100% working
- In case you have a surge protector, try plugging indirectly into the working outlet
- Check that both ends of the power cable are connected properly
- Try replacing the remote batteries
- If you have another device with the same remote control, you can check whether your remote is working or not with another device
- Unplug the speaker/soundbar and wait for at least 1 minute and then try again if it works
And if your remote has been lost, you can’t turn your Bose speaker/soundbar ON until you have another remote.
Watch the video Below to Turn ON Bose Solo 5 Without Remote
Frequently Asked Questions About Bose Soundbars and Speakers
We have included some of the commonly asked questions to give you more knowledge about Bose speakers and soundbars.
What is the difference between a Bose speaker and a soundbar?
A Bose speaker is a 2.0 setup, smart, compact, and portable device. They are usually Bluetooth speakers and cannot give an outstanding sound to the TV. A Bose soundbar is a multi-channel device with powerful drives, woofers, and tweeters. It can deliver great sound quality and can be a 3.0, 3.1, 5.0, 7.0, or 7.1.4 channel system.
Where to find the Bose soundbar code?
The code number can be found in the battery compartment. It begins with 714543-followed by 4 more numbers. This code is needed to program the remote with your soundbar. You can also find the code in the Bose code booklet and download it from the Bose Support page.
Why is my Bose soundbar remote control not working?
If your Bose remote control has stopped working, replace its batteries with new ones. Use the best quality Alkaline batteries. Check whether the IR blaster on the top of the remote is blinking or not when you send a command. Moreover, maintain a minimum distance from your soundbar while operating it through a remote. Make sure nothing is blocking the IR sensor on the soundbar.
These were all the possible methods you can use to turn ON Bose speakers or soundbars without an original remote. You can search for your particular Bose model and find a guide about that.