Sonos Play 3 is a smart wireless speaker. This speaker is the best choice for smartphones and tablets. It is equipped with 3 powerful drivers. While Sonos Play 5 is the upgraded version of the Sonos Play 3.
It comes with 6 powerful drivers and is the ideal companion for your smartphone and tablet. Both speakers feature wireless connectivity.
In this article, we will guide you through the reset process of Sonos Play 3 and Play 5. You need to reset your devices to improve their performance and remove any software glitches.
This article is very helpful for you if you are looking for the right method of resetting your Sonos Play 3 and Play 5.
1. Soft Reset Sonos Play 3 and Play 5
A soft reset is a very helpful technique to resolve a number of problems. This is a simple and straightforward method. Here is how can you reset both Sonos Play 3 and 5:
- Unplug the speaker from the power source.
- Leave it OFF for 30-60 seconds.
- Then, connect the device to the electric outlet.
- Press the power button to turn it ON.
- This will power cycle your speaker thus removing any software glitch.
2. Reset Sonos Play 3
You can reset your Sonos Play 3 just in a few minutes. Follow the steps given below;
- The very first step is to cut off the power supply from your device. There are two methods you can follow.
- The first is unplugging the power cord located at the bottom of the Sonos Play 3.
- The second method is disconnecting the power directly from the electrical wall outlet. You can choose either one depending on your feasibility.
- Find the play/pause button present on the front panel of Play 3. Press and hold this button while simultaneously reconnecting the power cord.
- Keep an eye on the light indicator. It will flash white and then amber. Release the play/pause button when the light starts glowing in a reddish color.
- When the light flashes green, it means the Sonos Play 3 has been restored to its factory settings.
You need to add it again in the Sonos app and re-pair it to your devices.
Related: Reset Sonos Subwoofer
3. Reset Sonos Play 5
The process of resetting Sonos Play 5 is a bit different from Sonos Play 3. You can reset your Sonos Play 5 by the following method.
- Unplug the power cord located at the rear side of your Sonos Play 5.
- You can also disconnect the power supply directly from the wall outlet.
- Wait a few moments after cutting the power supply.
- An infinity button is located just below the power connector. Press and hold this button, meanwhile re-plug the power cord.
- Keep the infinity button holding and observe the light indicator. It will blink white and then red. Release the button when the light starts glowing red.
Now, your Sonos Play 5 is reset to its factory settings. This procedure makes the device brand new, removing software bugs and resolving all other issues.
Related: Play Your Own Music On Sonos
4. Reset Sonos Controller App
If your Sonos speakers still do not work, you can try to reset the Sonos app;
- Open the Sonos app on your smartphone and hit the ‘Settings’ icon on the bottom bar.
- Click the ‘App Preferences’ tab and then tap the ‘Reset’ button.
- Confirm the action to reset the app.
Some Reasons to Reset Your Sonos Play 3 and Play 5
Both Sonos Play 3 and Play 5 are efficient speakers. However, sometimes a software bug can affect the performance.
The device does not work properly, cannot pair, disconnects frequently, audio is distorted, or the speaker cannot be discovered by the Sonos app.
All these problems can be solved by restoring factory settings on your Sonos Play 3 and Play 5.
Additionally, resetting is essential before selling your device to someone else. Because you have added accounts to it and the other person can misuse them.
So, you must restore factory settings on your speakers before handing them over to the buyer.
The same rule applies when you buy a used Sonos speaker. You must reset it before adding it to your home devices. Restore works just like cleansing. It removes all the software bugs and stored data. So, your Sonos speaker becomes brand new.
FAQs Regarding Sonos Speakers
If you have further queries regarding the Sonos speakers, read the following questions and answers.
Can I pair Sonos Play 3 and Play 5 together?
Yes, you can pair the Sonos Play 3 with the Sonos Play 5. But, you need to adjust some settings. Open the Sonos app on your phone and then click the ‘Settings’. Choose ‘Room Settings’ and then ‘Create Stereo Pair’. This will synchronize both speakers so that they can play well.
Is Sonos Play 3 discontinued by the company?
Yes, Sonos Play 3 was discontinued in 2018. However, the company maintains the speaker by releasing updates regularly. The company has also released many latest models of Sonos speakers.
Can I mix older and newer Sonos systems?
Each Sonos system comes with a different software version and is controlled by a different mobile app. So, it is not possible to mix the S1 and S2 series from Sonos. They can not play the same music together at the same time due to a synchronization issue.
What is a Sonos Bridge and what is its function?
Sonos Bridge is a device to ensure reliable network performance. You need to plug it into your home router to create a dedicated wireless network exclusively for the Sonos system.
Can I use Sonos Play 3 and Play 5 with my TV?
Both Sonos Play 3 and Play 5 are great to connect with the TV. They have an analog connector at the back. Using a 3.5mm cable, you can connect Sonos speakers to the headphone jack of your TV.
We hope this guide will help you a lot in resetting your Sonos Play 3 and Play 5. Stay connected with us to read more informative articles on technical solutions. Freely submit your queries and suggestions.