Today, we will learn to fix the issue of a black screen when the Switch is turned ON. As a Nintendo Switch Lite user, you should learn to troubleshoot basic problems.
Because no gaming console is free of issues. It is not possible to diagnose the reason immediately. However, a black screen is generally caused by a dead battery or faulty display.
There can be other reasons too. Therefore, we need to dive a little deeper. Moreover, this guide promises to solve your problem permanently.
1. Charge the Drained Battery
The most common cause is a drained or dead battery. Observe the screen when you turn ON the console.
If the battery indicator appears and disappears immediately, it needs to be charged.
Let your console charge for 1-3 hours and then turn it ON again. Charge it for 24 hours if the battery is completely drained out.
2. Restart Your Nintendo Lite
A quick restart is a very useful hack. Especially, if your console has software issues. Here is how to restart your device;
- On your Nintendo Lite Switch, press and hold the “Power” button.
- Release it after 3-5 seconds or until the “Power Options” appear on the screen.
- Click the Power Options and then choose “Restart”.
- If nothing displays on the screen then force restart your console.
- Press and hold the Power button for 12 seconds. The device will shut down.
- Wait a few moments and then press the power button once to turn it ON.
3. Troubleshoot AC Adapter
You should try to troubleshoot the AC adapter. Maybe it is the culprit and the console is right.
- Unplug the adapter from the power outlet and the Switch.
- Wait for 30-60 seconds before plugging it back again.
- Also, inspect the adapter and its cable. A frayed, worn-out, or damaged cable should be replaced.
- The cable should be intact and the adapter should be healthy. Otherwise, you have to buy new accessories.
4. Remove the SD Card
- Shut down your Lite. Open the cover of the microSD card slot.
- Push down on the top of the card to release it. Slide it out when you hear a click.
- Finally, turn ON your Switch.
- If the screen is not black anymore, do not put the card in again.
5. Dock and Undock
Sometimes, a simple trick like docking or undocking can help. Dock the Switch if you are using it in handheld mode. Undock the console if it is connected to a display.
Likewise, you can try docking and undocking a number of times. This can help the Switch in readjusting. So, it will come ON normally.
6. Hard Reset Your Nintendo Switch Lite
A hard reset removes most of the data. However, save videos, photos, and information can be retained. However, you should try it before repairing the hardware.
Because a hard reset is a promising way to fix software-related problems. Here is the process;
- First of all, you need to shut down your console.
- Press and hold the “Power” button for 12 seconds. The Switch will force shut down.
- Now, hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
- Meanwhile, press the Power button to turn the Switch ON.
- Keep holding the Volume buttons until the device enters “Recover Mode”.
- Choose “Factory Settings” from the recovery mode on the screen.
- Next, select “Restore Factory Setting without Deleting Saved Data”.
- The process will take some time to complete. Afterward, the screen will start normally.
7. Replace Faulty Adapter or Dock
Check the charging dock of your Switch. It may not be working and charging the console properly. When you put the console on the dock, its light indicator should be solid green.
Try a different dock if possible. Also, check the AC adapter. It may be faulty and cannot supply power. So, use a different adapter.
Please be sure to use the original dock and adapter given with your Switch. Third-party accessories can damage your device.
8. Check for Defective Screen
Another reason is that the screen itself is defective or damaged. It can be damaged due to moisture or physical shock. Do you hear any sound when the screen is turned ON?
Does the battery icon display and not disappear? Are there any cracks on the display or you have accidentally dropped it on the ground?
If yes, the screen of your Switch is damaged. The solution is to repair the screen or replace the console.
9. Hardware Defects
The damaged mainboard or CPU also causes a black screen issue. This is likely to happen after your console hits the ground.
The physical shock can damage the electrical circuit or other parts. If no troubleshooting solutions help then you should check the hardware.
Consult a professional technician or send the console to Nintendo for diagnosis and repair.
Frequently Asked Questions About Nintendo Switch Lite
Here are some important questions that are frequently asked by users. Review them to know more about gaming consoles.
What features does a Nintendo Switch Lite lack?
Switch Lite does not have removable Joy-Cons. It also lacks motion controls and a kickstand. Moreover, Nintendo Lite cannot dock with a TV. It has fewer features as compared to the original and OLED Switch.
What are the advantages of a Nintendo Switch Lite?
It is specifically designed for handheld playing. Hence, the user can easily access their favorite games. Moreover, it is compact and lightweight. Built-in controllers and games are other benefits.
Does Switch Lite have Bluetooth compatibility?
Yes, the Lite version comes with Bluetooth support. It is upgraded to a 13.0 system. So, it can connect to Bluetooth wireless headphones. The previous Nintendo versions had Bluetooth only to connect with the controller.
Can I play free games on my Nintendo Switch?
Some of the games are free to play on Switch. Because the Nintendo eShop offers a lot of free games. These include some popular games too. So, you can enjoy yourself without spending extra money to buy games.
Also read: Fixing the Macbook Pro Black Screen
You are not the only one facing the Nintendo Switch black screen issue. By following this guide, your Switch can be turned ON normally. Kindly apply each solution turn by turn. Stay connected for more updates.