Do you want to learn how to control FireStick without a remote? If yes then you have come to the correct place.
Because this article will tell you many methods to control your FireStick. Indeed the Amazon FireStick is an amazing device with a lot of advanced features.
You can stream every sort of media on this device. In addition, it is also flexible in terms of controls and functioning.
FireStick comes with its own remote control which can be programmed to your TV also. Similarly, you can also pair your TV remote to this device.
However, if you do not like any of these options, you can adopt other ways to control FireStick. Let us learn all these ways in this guide.
Option 1: Amazon Fire TV App
This is a handy and quick method to control the FireStick without a remote. All you need to download the Fire TV app on your smartphone.
This app is compatible both with Android and iOS devices. Moreover, the mobile app is very helpful and has all the control options.
It also allows you to use the phone’s mic to ask questions through Alexa. Furthermore, the Fire TV app also provides a fully functional text keyboard.
So, it is convenient if you want to type longer texts to search for anything on the device. There are many other advantages of using the app.
For example, you always keep your smartphone in your hand or pocket. So, you do not need to search for the remote, change its batteries, or fix its overacting.
However, the only disadvantage is that the mobile app cannot be used to play games. For this purpose, you will need to buy a dedicated gaming remote controller.
How to Use Fire TV App
Before using this app, you need to make sure that your FireStick and mobile device are connected to the same Wifi network. Now, follow these steps;
Go to Play Store on your Android smartphone and Apple Store on iPhone.
- Download the ‘Amazon Fire TV’ app on your phone.
- Launch the app and select your FireStick from the list of devices showing on the screen.
- Connect the app with the device by following the on-screen prompts.
- Start using the app as the FireStick remote. Try changing volume, channels, and other settings to confirm the setup.
Option 2: Amazon Echo Dot
Amazon Echo Dot is a great option to control your FireStick without a remote. Since FireStick is an Amazon device, it can work with Alexa.
Hence, you can control it by giving voice commands and staying hands-free. FireStick is linked to your Amazon account and has built-in Alexa capability.
So, it can be used to control your FireStick through voice commands.
How to Use Amazon Echo Dot
Before connecting the device to your FireStick, you should update both the Amazon Echo Dot and FireStick.
Step 1: Update the Devices
- Go to the ‘Settings’ from the Home screen of your FireStick.
- Scroll down and click the ‘My Fire TV’ option.
- Next, choose ‘About’ and then select ‘Check for Updates’.
- Tap the ‘Install System Update’ option and wait for the download to complete.
Moreover, update the Alexa app on your Echo Dot device. If all of your devices are linked to a single Amazon account, the Echo Dot will pair automatically to the FireStick.
Step 2: Pair Echo Dot to FireStick
- Give your Echo Dot voice command to open the Main menu.
- Next, open the ‘Settings’ and navigate to the ‘TV & Video’.
- Select ‘Fire TV Stick’ from the devices on the list.
- Choose the ‘Link Devices’ option and complete the process by following the instructions.
- You can also change settings from the Manage Devices tab.
Step 3: Control FireStick through Echo Dot
Amazon Echo Dot lets you control your FireStick fully. You can perform any function by giving the voice command.
You will say ‘Alexa Play-movie name’ to start watching a movie or show. Similarly, you can command it to search anything.
Moreover, basic controls such as ‘Play/Pause/Stop/Resume’ can also be performed by ordering.
Furthermore, you can adjust volume, mute the device, turn your device ON/OFF, and change channels. Hence, you can give any command to your FireStick.
Indeed, Echo Dot is an amazing device. It is best for people who love hands-free control.
Option 3: TV Remote
If you are not convenient with the mobile app, you can also use your TV remote to control the FireStick.
However, your TV should support HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). This feature allows two-way communication between the TV and the connected device.
On the previous models, it comes under the name of HDMI-CEC. Nevertheless, on the latest TV models, the name for this feature may be different.
Mostly, it is called HMDI ARC or eARC. Here is a list of TV brands along with the specific names they use for the CEC feature;
- LG: SimpLink
- Mitsubishi: NetCommand
- Hitachi and Vizio: HDMI-CEC
- Panasonic: HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, or VIERA Link
- Samsung: Anynet+
- Philips: EasyLink
- Sony: BRAVIA Sync
- Toshiba: CE-Link or Regza Link
Kindly read the specifications of your TV to confirm whether it is equipped with the CEC feature or not.
How to Use TV Remote to Control FireStick
First, you need to enable the CEC feature on your TV. This method varies across different brands. However, a general method is as follows;
- Using the provided cable, connect your FireStick with the TV.
- Plug it into the HDMI-CEC/ARC/eARC port on your TV.
- The same port on your TV may be used to connect the power cord. In this case, you can use an HDMI splitter to make two ports out of one.
- Now, press the ‘Home/Menu’ button on your TV remote.
- Open ‘Settings’ and then go to ‘System’. Scroll down to find the CEC settings. Enable it on the connected device.
- Next, press the ‘Home’ button on the TV remote. A message will appear on the TV screen saying ‘FireStick is searching for remote’.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
- Press the ‘Input’ button on the TV remote. It should yield ‘FireStick’ instead of HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. This indicates the connection is successful.
- You can now use your TV remote to control FireStick. However, the control options may be limited and a few buttons cannot be used.
Also read: Control TV with Firestick Remote
Option 4: Universal Remote Control
Another option is to use a universal remote to control your FireStick without its own remote. Such a remote can synchronize easily with all devices.
However, all universal remotes may not be compatible with FireStick. But, you can read the specifications of the remote before purchasing it.
For example, Logitech Harmony Smart Control is a great universal remote to work with all devices.
This single remote can be used with all of your home theater devices such as soundbar, receiver, TV, etc. It also supports a mobile app for further control features.
A universal remote control can be programmed just like the original FireStick remote.
Otherwise, read the user manual to find the exact pairing method for the specific remote you intend to purchase.
Option 5: Wired or Wireless Mouse
FireStick can be controlled through a mouse. You can pair either a wireless or a wired mouse with your FireStick.
The wireless mouse is convenient to use as you can move it anywhere. While a wired mouse limits the freedom. Moreover, you cannot attach a mouse directly to your FireStick.
Instead, a device is needed to make this connection. Let us learn how to link both types of the mouse to your FireStick.
Connecting a Wired Mouse to FireStick
- You have to purchase a micro USB to USB adapter or OTG.
- Connect it to the power supply using the provided cable.
- Plug your FireStick into the right port on the OTG.
- Now, insert the mouse cable into the third port on the OTG.
- Finally, the mouse has been connected to your FireStick with the help of this device. You can use the mouse to control your device.
Connecting a Bluetooth Mouse to FireStick
FireStick supports all Bluetooth devices. Hence, you can pair a Bluetooth mouse to control it.
- First, download the ‘Fire TV App’ on your mobile device.
- Connect your mobile and FireStick to the same Wifi network.
- Launch the app and click your FireStick to pair it with the app.
- Put your Bluetooth mouse into pairing mode and place it closer to your mobile and FireStick.
- Now, open ‘Settings’ in the app and choose ‘Remotes & Bluetooth Devices’.
- Next, tap the ‘Other Bluetooth Devices’ option and then choose ‘Add Bluetooth Devices’.
- Choose your Bluetooth mouse from the list of available devices and click the ‘Pair’ button.
- The mouse is convenient to use to navigate through your FireStick menu.
Option 6: Wired or Wireless Keyboard
A keyboard is another great option to control your FireStick. It offers all the necessary control options. Just like a mouse, you can connect both a wired or wireless keyboard to your device.
A wired keyboard can be attached just like we linked a wired mouse using an OTG. Likewise, the wireless keyboard can be paired via Bluetooth.
A mini keyboard is a better option to use with the FireStick. However, you can use any available keyboard. The ‘Home’ button on the keyboard is used to access the device Menu.
The Space bar and the ‘Enter’ key is used to select an option. While the left/right and up/down arrow keys are used to navigate through the options.
Option 7: An Air Mouse
An Air Mouse is one step ahead of a simple mouse. It is a combination of a remote and a mouse. So, you get all the control options with a single device.
Air Mouse can be connected to the FireStick using an OTG. The process is the same as mentioned above in option 5.
It works just like a remote by flicking into the air. However, it is more efficient than a simple remote control. You can purchase one from Amazon.
Video Guide to Control Firestick Without Remote
In this section, read the answers to the frequently asked questions regarding Amazon Firestick.
What to do if my Firestick is not working?
If your Amazon Firestick is not working, the network may be slow. So, restart your Wifi router by unplugging it for 60 seconds and then plugging back again into the wall power outlet. Also, restart or reset your device.
Can Firestick work with non-smart TVs?
Yes, you can connect your Firestick to a non-smart TV via an HDMI port. It can also be plugged into the USB port on your TV. It will convert your non-smart TV to a smart one. However, you also need a Wifi network to stream on Firestick.
Do I need an Amazon account to use Firestick?
Yes, you have to make an Amazon account to start using Firestick. But, a Prime subscription is not needed. However, you can buy content or play from the streaming apps available on the Amazon app store.
It is not a worry if you have lost your FireStick remote or if it is not working properly. There are a lot of other options to control your FireStick.
This article has given you 7 options. You can use a mouse, keyboard, Fire TV app, TV remote, etc. Choose any of these devices freely and according to your preference.
We will appreciate it if you tell us which of the options you prefer to control your FireStick without a remote. Stay connected to get more updates.