Amazon FireStick is a streaming device that connects with your TV. In this article, I will guide you how to pair the FireStick remote to the TV volume.
FireStick offers a lot of streaming options. You can not only enjoy movies and shows but also enjoy music and games via this device.
However, using two remotes-one for your TV and the other for FireStick- can be a confusing thing. Instead, you can use a single remote to control both your TV and the device.
The advanced FireStick comes with a remote control that can synchronize with your TV for volume control.
The remote can program with all sorts of TVs including the smart ones and the previous models.
Nevertheless, FireStick remote features only the basic control options like ON/OFF, Volume, and Mute buttons.
Generally, the FireStick remote pair automatically to your TV when you connect the device. However, sometimes it does not happen.
So, you need to pair the remote manually. There are multiple methods to pair FireStick remote to control the TV volume. This guide will explain all the methods in an easy way.
The Basic Condition for Pairing
The Amazon FireStick remote can pair to your TV volume on a condition- your TV should support CEC technology. CEC stands for ‘Consumer Electronic Control’.
It is a feature of HDMI that is available as a port on your TV. Actually, CEC assists in two-way communication between the TV and the connected device.
So, you can control your TV through the FireStick remote. CEC technology may have other names depending on the TV brands.
For example, Samsung names it ‘Anynet+’, Sony calls it ‘BRAVIA Sync, and LG features ‘SimpleLink’.
Similarly, Toshiba calls it ‘CE Link and Regza Link’, and Panasonic has ‘HDAVI Control’, ‘EZ-Sync’ or ‘VIERA Link’.
Step 1: Enable CEC on Both Devices
You need to enable the CEC function both on your TV and Amazon FireStick. This is necessary to control TV volume through the FireStick remote.
- Go to ‘Settings’ on your FireStick home screen. Choose the ‘Display & Audio’ tab.
- Navigate to the ‘HDMI CEC Device Control’ option and click it. Enable this setting by turning it ON.
Now, it’s time to enable CEC on your TV. The process may vary across different brands. However, a general method is given here;
- On your TV remote, press the menu button. From the ‘Setting’ menu, choose ‘System’.
- Scroll down and choose the ‘HDMI CEC Control’ tab. Enable this feature and click on the ‘Always ON’ option.
- This is how we can enable CEC both on your TV and FireStick.
Step 2: Pair the Remote with FireStick
Before pairing the FireStick remote to your TV, you need to pair it with the device itself. The method explained below is applicable to a new as well as a replacement FireStick remote;
- Disconnect your FireStick from the power source.
- Open the back cover of your remote and insert fresh batteries into it.
- Now, power ON your FireStick and wait until the home screen uploads.
- Sometimes, the new remote pairs automatically with the device. In this case, you can check it by performing different functions.
- Otherwise, press and hold the ‘Home’ button on the FireStick remote.
Release the button after 10-20 seconds or when a notification appears informing you that the remote has been paired.
In some cases, the notification does not appear but the remote synchronizes successfully.
Step 3: Pair FireStick Remote to the TV
There are multiple methods to pair the FireStick remote to the TV volume. For example, for first-time pairing or for the second time pairing.
Method 1: The Quick Way
FireStick has different versions. So, the pairing method may differ a little. Here is a quick and easy method to pair your FireStick remote to control the TV volume.
- On your FireStick remote, press and hold the ‘Home’ button for 10 seconds.
- The LED indicator should start blinking which means the remote has started searching for a TV.
- When it will found a TV, the LED will flash blue 3 times.
- The remote will pair successfully with your TV if it supports CEC technology.
Method 2: First Time Pairing
- Connect the FireStick to your TV through the HDMI or USB port.
Turn on your TV and direct the FireStick remote towards it.
- Now, press the round shape ‘Home’ button on the remote. It will display the FireStick menu on the TV screen.
- Click the ‘Settings’ option from the list on the top of the TV screen.
- Next, choose the ‘Equipment Control’ tab and it will open a sub-menu.
- Select the ‘Manage Equipment’ option and then choose ‘TV’ from the submenu.
- Click on the ‘Change TV’ option and choose it again when prompted.
- It will take a while to detect the TV, click the ‘YES’ button if the detected TV is correct.
- Otherwise, click the ‘NO’ button, and choose the right TV brand from the list.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the pairing process.
- If the detected TV brand is correct then press the ‘Power’ button on the FireStick remote. Press the power button again after 10 seconds.
- If the remote has been programmed successfully, your TV should turn OFF and ON by pressing the power button twice.
- Perform the volume test as asked by the device. You should be capable of muting your TV and changing the volume through the FireStick remote.
- If the TV does not respond to remote commands, click the ‘NO’ option.
- Go through the series of attempts as prompted by the device. It will pass you through the trial and error steps.
- You will need to perform accordingly until the remote pairs successfully.
Method 3: Pairing an Additional or Second FireStick Remote
You can also pair a second or additional FireStick remote to your TV. Because Amazon FireStick allows you to use more than one remote with it.
You may want to pair a better remote with it. So, the process is as follows;
- Choose the ‘Settings’ option from the home screen of FireStick.
- Next, choose ‘Controllers & Bluetooth Devices’.
- Click the ‘Amazon Fire TV Remotes’ option from the following menu.
- Now, tap the ‘Add New Remote’ option and the device will start searching for the new remote.
- Meanwhile, press and hold the ‘Home’ button on your new FireStick remote for 10 seconds.
- Once your device has successfully found the new remote, you should press the ‘Select’ button on the old remote.
- This is all, check your new remote whether it has been paired or not.
Bonus Tips for Troubleshooting FireStick
If your FireStick is not working well, you can troubleshoot it by resetting it to factory settings. Moreover, a reset also works if you want to pair the device with a new TV or remote.
Further, a reset is also necessary to perform if you want to sell your FireStick or you have purchased it as a used device.
1. How to Reset FireStick
I will explain two methods to reset FireStick if it is malfunctioning.
- On the FireStick remote, press the ‘Home’ button.
- Open the ‘Settings’ menu and then choose ‘My Fire TV’. This option may be labeled as ‘Device’ or ‘System’ on older versions.
- Navigate to the ‘Reset Factory Defaults’ tab and click it. Enter your PIN if the device requires it.
- Finally, click the ‘Reset’ button and wait until the process is completed.
- Do not disconnect your FireStick from the power supply during the process. The device will restart after it has been reset to factory settings.
There is another easy and quick method to reset the FireStick. You can also use the remote to reset your device;
- Turn ON your Amazon FireStick.
- On the remote control, press and hold the ‘Back’ button and the ‘Right Directional/Arrow’ button at the same time.
- Release the buttons after 10 seconds or when the ‘Reset’ message appears.
- Click the ‘Reset’ and wait until the process finishes.
2. How to Reset FireStick Remote
Just like the device, the remote can also malfunction sometimes. It stops responding or does not work well. The primary reason for this issue is that the batteries have expired.
So, you need to replace the remote batteries. However, if it still fails to work, reset your FireStick remote.
Method 1: Alexa FireStick Remote
- Unplug your FireStick from the power supply and turn it OFF.
- After 60 seconds, press and hold the ‘Left’ button, Menu button, and the Back button at the same time.
- Keep holding all three buttons for 12-15 seconds.
- Release the buttons and after 5 seconds take out the remote batteries. Connect your FireStick to the wall power outlet.
- Wait for another 60 seconds before putting the remote batteries back and pressing the ‘Home’ button.
Method 2: Basic FireStick Remote
- Press and hold the ‘Home’ button on the basic FireStick remote.
- While holding down the Home button, press the ‘Menu’ button 3 times.
- Release the Home button and then press the ‘Menu’ button 9 times.
- Now, take out the remote batteries and unplug your FireStick for 60 seconds.
- Then, insert the batteries again into the remote and connect the device to the power supply.
- Wait for the Homepage to appear on the FireStick. Press and hold the ‘Home’ button for 40 seconds on the remote.
You may want to know more about Firestick. Therefore, I will answer some of your commonly asked questions here;
Do I need to buy a Firestick if I have a smart TV?
A smart TV provides you with all the streaming options and apps. Firestick serves the same purpose. However, Firestick offers more apps, channels, streaming options, and content. Moreover, the streaming experience on a Firestick is faster and smoother as compared to a smart TV.
Is Firestick and Fire TV the same things?
Amazon Firestick and Fire TV are almost the same except for a few differences such as design. The Fire TV Stick is relatively faster than Amazon Firestick. However, both offer the same apps, channels, and features.
How often do I need to update my Firestick?
Amazon released the new firmware versions almost twice a month. So, you should check for a firmware update every 10-15 days. Keeping your device up-to-date saves you from a number of issues.
You may also like: Reviewing Top 10 Budget TVs for PS5
You can avoid the hassle of multiple remotes by pairing the FireStick remote with your TV. Because you can control both devices in this way.
You do not need to pick up two remotes each time to change the volume or to turn OFF your devices. So, you can enjoy uninterrupted entertainment.
This guide has told you 3 easy methods to pair your FireStick remote to the TV volume. Hopefully, you have learned everything well. Subscribe to our blog for more updates.