Is your Motorola phone not receiving texts? Don’t worry, this guide has found the best working solutions that will fix your phone in a few minutes.
You may own a Motorola G, E, X, or any other version. The text problem can occur on all of these phones. You can send texts through your Motorola phone but cannot receive them.
Sometimes, it happens that your phone can receive messages from certain numbers but not from others.
It can be caused by wrong settings, weak network, or improper activation of your phone.
However, this is not a very big problem. You can solve it by following the troubleshooting tricks mentioned in this article.
1. Check the Network Service
Your phone cannot receive messages if the network service is weak. Sometimes, the SIM signals are blocked and you cannot receive messages.
This can be confirmed by consulting friends or neighbors whether the same SIM network is working on their phones or not.
Another way to check is by making calls through your phone. A further trick is to change your location.
It can help increase the signal strength. If the service is available fully, try the next solution.
2. Check the Block List of Your Motorola Phone
If your Motorola phone cannot receive text messages only from certain numbers, they have been put into the block list. So, you need to remove them from the block list;
- On your phone, open the ‘Messaging App’.
- Click on the number from which your phone is unable to receive messages.
- At the top right, click the ‘Menu’ button that appears in the form of three dots.
- Tap ‘People and Options’. Check the ‘Block’ feature and deactivate it.
3. Delete and Re-Add the Contacts
- Identify the numbers from which you cannot receive messages.
- Delete these numbers from the ‘Contacts App’.
- Also, delete the conversation from the Messages app.
- Turn OFF your Motorola phone, wait for 30 seconds and then turn it ON back.
- Add the deleted Contacts again to the list. Ask them to send you messages to check if the issue is solved.
4. Delete Extra and Suspicious Messages
Maybe your Motorola phone does not have enough space, that’s why it is receiving messages.
So, clearing all the messages from inbox, outbox, drafts, and sent items can help solve the issue. The method is as follows;
- Click the ‘Home’ key on your phone and open the ‘Text Messaging’.
- Next, tap the ‘Options’ key that is in the form of four squares under the display.
- Click the ‘Select Multiple’ options and then the ‘Options’ key.
- Choose ‘Select All’ and then ‘Delete’.
- Further, check for suspicious messages that are strange and contain links. Because some of them come from hackers and can interfere with your device.
5. Activate Your Motorola from Verizon
One of the major reasons for not receiving text messages is that your Motorola phone is not activated. You need to activate the SIM card from Verizon. Follow these steps;
- Login to Verizon’s website.
- Click ‘Account’ and then ‘My Devices’.
- Next, choose ‘Activate or Switch Device’.
- Select ‘Activate on an existing line’.
- This will enable CDMA-less on your SIM.
- Finally, check whether the issue is solved or not.
6. Update the Software on Your Motorola Phone
An outdated software version can also cause messaging issues. So, you should install the latest firmware update on your phone.
Because it comes with bug fixes and adds new features. The method is as follows;
- Open the ‘Settings’ on your phone.
- Choose the ‘About Phone’ option and then tap ‘System Updates’.
- If an update is available, install it by following the on-screen prompts.
- Once the process is complete, reboot your phone and check its performance.
7. Reinsert the SIM Card
- Take out the SIM card from your Motorola phone.
- Clean the SIM jack properly. It may have accumulated dirt, thus messaging issue arises.
- Reinsert the SIM card and reboot your phone twice.
- Hopefully, this will help solve the issue.
8. Remove the Troubling Apps
Some apps may also create a messaging issue. If you are using the default messaging app, try to shift to a different app such as Hangouts.
Another trick is to clear the cache of the messaging app which is unable to receive messages. You can do it by the following method;
- Open the ‘Settings’ app on your Motorola phone. Next, select the ‘Phone’ option.
- Navigate to ‘All’ and then choose the messaging app.
- Tap ‘Clear Data’ and then ‘Clear Cache’. You can repeat this process with other apps to clear the cache completely.
- If the issue is not solved yet, delete the messaging app, reboot your phone and reinstall the app.
- Also, check other apps and delete the unnecessary apps to free up space.
9. Wipe Cache Partition
This process deletes the temporary files that can cause messaging issues. Thus, your phone cleans up and improves its performance.
Follow these guidelines to perform this function;
- Turn OFF your Motorola phone completely.
- Press and hold the ‘Volume Down’ and ‘Power’ buttons at the same time.
- Release both buttons when the screen appears. Quickly, press the ‘Volume Down’ button twice to select the ‘Recovery Mode’.
- Press the ‘Power’ button to select this option. You should see “Recovery Mode” at the top of the screen.
- At this point, press and hold the ‘Power’ button for 10 seconds. Release the button when the ‘Android Recovery’ screen shows up.
- Press the volume buttons to scroll down to the ‘Wipe Cache Partition’ option.
- Select it by pressing the ‘Power’ button, next, choose the ‘Reboot System Now’ option.
- In a few moments, the process will be completed.
- Note: If during the process, your Moto freezes, restart it by long-pressing the ‘Power’ button.
10. Restore Factory Settings on Your Motorola
If still the issue persists, restore factory settings on your phone. This will remove all the corrupt files and will fix the wrong settings. However, a factory reset deletes all the data on your phone.
So, make sure to back up the important data. The reset method is as follows;
- Open the ‘Settings’ app on your Motorola phone.
- Scroll down and choose ‘Privacy’. Next, click the ‘Factory Data Reset’ option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your phone.
More From us: Best Dolby Atmos Home Theater Systems
11. Contact the Carrier
If you have tried all the above-mentioned solutions but still your phone is not receiving text messages, configure the APN settings.
They are set by default but may have some issues. So, you need to contact your service/network provider.
They can guide you in configuring the APN settings. Alternately, ask the carrier about the solution to the issue.
If they cannot help you then contact Motorola support. This is the last solution to fix your Motorola phone that is not receiving texts.
Hi, I’m Noor Alam, founder of SpeakersMag.com. I love music and got my Bachelor’s degree in Sound Engineering. Now I have started my own blog about music products. Just like you, I also love different music products and in my spare time, I share my knowledge with audio lovers on this site.