Crackling noises during calls may be due to network error. But, it happens only a few times and the issue is resolved automatically. However, if you continue to hear crackling noise on your iPhone 11 during calls, it is a serious problem. The reasons behind sound problems may be software or hardware issue. Generally, the owners of older iPhone 11 face audio problems such as static noises, audio distortion, and cutoff. Sometimes, you can hear no audio at all during a phone call.
This article provides the solution to the sound issue on iPhone 11. These tricks have been found successful by many iPhone 11 users. We are sure that they will also work for you to get rid of the crackling noises during a phone call on iPhone 11.
Sort out the Real Cause of Crackling Noise from Your iPhone 11 During Calls
As mentioned earlier, crackling noises may be due to weak signals. So, before trying troubleshooting methods, you should confirm the real problem. Intermittent cellular signal disrupts the sound and you hear odd noises.
Make a call on your iPhone 11 by changing your location. If the sound is uninterrupted at the new location, the problem is weaker cellular signals rather than your iPhone. Moreover, you can also try another method. Make a call using another phone on the same location (at which you made a call using iPhone 11).
If the other phone also gives crackling noises then it is a signal problem. However, if the results are the opposite then you must try the following solutions.
1. Clean the Headset Port and Speaker Slot
The headset port and speaker grill catch the dust and debris very easily. Over time, the liter gathers to block the port. This causes crackling or distorted noises during calls. This may be a major reason especially if you are using the iPhone 11 for a long time.
There are different methods to clean the speaker grill and headphone port.
- You can use a toothpick or bobby pin. Insert the tool gently into the port and move from one end to the other. Similarly, clean the speaker grill by softly moving the toothpick in each hole.
- You can also use a toothbrush or paintbrush to clean the speaker and headphone port. Make sure that the toothbrush has neither too hard nor too soft bristles. It should be dry and clean. Put the brush on the speaker grill and move it in circular motions to wipe the dust.
- Other cleaning objects are dry cotton swabs or a sticky tap. Air can is also an effective method to clean the dirt from the speaker grille and headphone jack. But, do not blow too hard, avoid exerting too much pressure, and above all be gentle.
Related: How to Clean iPhone Speaker Slot
2. Soft Reset Your iPhone 11
Software bugs are the main reason behind abnormal phone functioning. They can also produce crackling sounds. So, a soft reset is a very helpful trick to wipe out software bugs. You can perform this function by following the instructions given below;
- On your iPhone 11, press the ‘Side’ and ‘Volume Up’ buttons simultaneously.
- Hold both buttons until the ‘Power off’ Slider appears on the screen.
- Drag the ‘power off’ bar for turning off your iPhone 11.
- Wait a few moments and then press the Side button. Hold it until the Apple logo is visible on the screen.
Now, wait until the cellular network on your iPhone stabilizes. Make a call to test whether the issue has been resolved or not. If not then move on to the next solution.
3. Disconnect All the Paired Devices
A Bluetooth connection can also interfere with the call. If your iPhone 11 is paired to some Bluetooth device, it triggers the sound issue. So, the simple solution is to turn the Bluetooth off. It will disconnect all the paired devices.
You can also move one step further. Remove all the saved data on your iPhone 11 related to Bluetooth pairing. You can do it by the following method;
- Open Settings on your iPhone 11 and navigate to the Bluetooth menu and turn it on.
- Next, a list of available devices will appear.
- Select the Bluetooth device which your iPhone needs to forget.
- Click on the information icon “i” in front of the device name.
- Next, select the ‘Forget this device’ option.
You can remove all the paired devices by following the same method. Now, make a test call through your iPhone 11.
Related: Fix iPhone Sound not Working Without Headphones
4. Turn the Airplane Mode on
Another useful trick is to turn the Airplane mode on. This will disable all the wireless connectivity options like Wifi, radio, and Bluetooth. These connections can trigger a sound issue during a call by interrupting the cellular signals. Follow these guidelines to perform this function;
- Go to Settings on your iPhone 11.
- Click the Airplane Mode and turn it on.
- Now, restart and reboot your iPhone 11 to remove the cache.
- Finally, turn the Airplane Mode off.
Allow the cellular signals to establish. Make a phone call to check the crackling noise issue.
5. Update to the Latest iOS Version
An older and outdated iOS version also affects the iPhone performance. It may be a reason behind crackling noises during calls. Because your phone slows down and does not work efficiently. Installing the new iOS version removes the software bugs.
Moreover, Apple designs updated versions to solve the existing issues. Before installing the new iOS version, make sure the battery of your iPhone 11 is sufficient and you have a reliable internet connection.
Because interrupting the update process in the middle can create more problems for you. In addition, back up all of your important data to avoid any loss.
Follow these steps to update the latest iOS version on your iPhone 11.
- Navigate to Settings from Home Screen.
- Go to General Settings.
- Select ‘Software Update’. You will get a notification if your iPhone 11 is eligible to the latest update.
- Next, follow the instructions appearing on the screen to complete the process.
- Once the latest software has been updated, reboot your iPhone 11. This will help in establishing all the system changes and bug fixes properly.
6. Reset All the Settings
Another reason behind crackling noises is poorly configured system settings. Automatic updates can also create this issue. So, resetting all the settings will erase unnecessary things. This function does not delete the data on your iPhone 11. But, it removes the system configurations, custom settings, and current errors. It can also help you in solving other problems on your iPhone 11.
Follow these steps to reset all the settings;
- Open the Settings on your iPhone 11 and go to General settings.
- Scroll down and select the ‘Reset’ option.
- Select the ‘Reset all settings’ option.
- It will require your passcode to continue.
- Enter the passcode to confirm the reset process.
After the process is complete, your iPhone 11 will automatically reboot. Customize your preferred settings and features. Now, make a test call to check the audio performance of your iPhone 11 during calls.
7. Restore Factory Settings
If the reset option does not work then you should try a hard reset or factory reset. Resetting all the settings can wipe out some minor errors but a factory reset deletes all the stubborn malware. This will restore your iPhone 11 to default factory settings thereby removing all the bugs and errors.
This function also deletes all the data saved on your iPhone 11 memory. So, do not forget to back up all your data before performing a factory reset on your device.
The following steps guide you through the process;
- Go to Settings on your iPhone 11.
- Open General settings.
- Scroll down to reach the ‘Reset’ option.
- Select the option ‘Erase all content and settings’.
- Enter your passcode to confirm the action.
- Your iPhone 11 will reboot automatically after the process is complete.
You can restore factory settings by iTunes. It involves a computer to manually restore the factory settings on your iPhone 11. This option is recommended if you want to back up your phone data to iTunes before the factory reset.
Related: iPhone Not Charging But Turns On When Plugged In Solved
8. Seek the Apple Support
The crackling or distorted noises are mainly due to software problems. We have told you a number of useful tricks to solve the software issues. These tricks are very useful and resolve all kinds of problems.
However, if none of the above solutions works then your iPhone 11 has some hardware problem. Maybe some liquid has entered your iPhone and damaged the audio component. Avoid sorting out this problem at your home.
Consult the nearby Apple service center and get your iPhone 11 checked by a technician. You can also seek online support from Apple by live chat, Email, or Phone call.
We hope this guide will help you in solving the issue of crackling noises on your iPhone 11 during calls. It lists all the possible solutions. They all are tested and tried by the iPhone 11 users. So, surely any of them will work for you.