Floor-standing speakers have always been popular among folks. There are many reasons to love them. In this guide, I will list and review the best choices that cost under $1000.
Why Do I like Floor Standing Speakers?
One major reason is their best acoustic design. Tower speakers stand at ear levels. They are designed according to human acoustics. Thus, the sound quality is excellent.
Further, these audio devices are equipped with multiple drivers. You get woofers, subwoofers, and tweeters, in a single unit.
While pre-installed amplifiers discard the need for an external amp. Another reason for liking tower speakers is their aesthetic value. They add attraction to your home theater.
Moreover, floor standers can get really loud. Indeed, they are the best choices for music, movies, and TV shows. Finally, they cost less than modern soundbars and home theater systems.
1. Polk Signature Elite ES55-Best Audio Format
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE TOWER SPEAKER - Polk Signature Elite ES55...
- NOT ONLY HEAR, BUT FEEL THE HEART-THUMPING BASS - Polk's...
ES55 is one of the best floor standing speakers by Polk audio. Its most attractive characteristic is Dolby Atmos and DTS:X support.
This tower speaker is equipped with a 1-inch tweeter and three 6.5 inches woofers. It features a 34Hz to 40KHz frequency range and 89 dB sensitivity. One unit is enough for a medium-sized room.
However, you can add another to complete the pair. Polk Signature Elite is a two-way passive speaker with a decent bass reflex. So, you need to add an external amp.
The output power ranges from 40-200 watts and the impedance is 8 Ohms. I found this speaker suitable for music as well as movies.
Mid-range is especially warm. At the same time, the soundstage is also excellent. The unit is available in walnut, black, and white colors.
The design of its base is very clever and stands perfectly on its feet. The tower stands 41 inches tall and is quite a heavy weighing about 44 pounds.
It has 5-way binding posts for bi-wiring connection. Moreover, the unit features an MDF cabinet with vinyl finishing.
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X compatible
- Decent mid-range, bass reflex, and wide soundstage
- Great both for music and movies
- Performs best at high volume with no distortion
- Easy placement with 4 pre-installed rubber feet
- Dual 5-way binding posts for connectivity
- Attractive design and sturdy build quality
- Bass is not ideal for audiophiles
- Not recommended for playing music at low volume
2. Klipsch Reference RP-8000F–Best Signature Sound
- The Klipsch RP-8000F-PB floorstanding speaker delivers...
- Dual 8" Spun Copper Cerametallic Woofers
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8000F is an excellent floor-standing speaker. Because it features Klipsch’s signature sound. The users are highly satisfied with this product.
I believe it is the best-performing tower speaker for under $1000. Tractrix horn, Titanium tweeters, and copper woofers make high-quality sound hardware.
The bass response is great enough and does not require an external subwoofer. RP-8000 is an awesome choice for your home theater.
Because it delivers a neutral, bright, and exciting sound with dynamic range. The loudness of these tower speakers is overpowering.
This single tower is enough to create a room-filling sound. However, you can also buy a pair. Being a floor standing speaker, it is large and heavy.
The unit weighs about 70 pounds and stands 48 inches tall. While choosing the speakers, you should also look for aesthetics.
The unit is available in walnut, ebony, and black colors. Moreover, the build quality is solid and sturdy. Because Klipsch has used furniture-grade cabinets.
- Valuable and worth buying
- Decent loudness with a high sensitivity rating
- Premium quality audio drivers
- Sturdy build quality and nice design
- Bright, clear, and dynamic sound
- Reasonable bass does not need an extra subwoofer
- May not prove ideal for pure music listening
- No banana clips compatibility
- Passive audio device requiring an external amp
3. Fluance Signature Floorstanding Speakers-Best for Size
- Mastering precision and sonic accuracy, the Signature Series...
- Powerful dual 8" woofers provide optimal linear movement...
Fluance is a trusted brand that manufactures high-quality floor-standing speakers. This speaker comes from the Signature series.
The main attraction of this sound unit is large-sized drivers. The addition of dual and large 8-inch bass woofers discards the need for an external subwoofer.
Another attractive feature is the 3-way audio. Because each unit is equipped with a 1-inch silk dome tweeter and a 5-inch glass fiber driver.
Hence, the system delivers enough bass for music and movies. It can get very loud and delivers sharp sounds. However, audiophiles may feel the sounds unpleasant at some points.
But, for an average listener, it is a great choice with decent music and movie performance. Low-ends are refined but high-ends are not perfect.
They can handle a total of 200W output power. One drawback is that Fluance Signature is a passive audio device thus needing an external amp.
These tower speakers stand 4 feet tall. Moreover, they are quite heavy weighing about 62 pounds. The product is available in ash black and natural walnut colors.
- Large-sized dual bass woofers
- 3-way Fluance Signature sound effect
- Wide, dynamic, and bright soundstage
- Sturdy build quality with MDF cabinets
- Giant floor-standing speakers standing 4 feet high
- Decent low frequencies
- Poor installation guide
- A bit more expensive than the competitors
4. Sony SS-CS3-Best Budget Active Speakers
- USE: Enables you to create an amazing audio experience right...
- FEATURES: 1" polyester main tweeter, ¾" super tweeter, 145W...
What if you get an active speaker pair for half of your expected price? Sony SS-CS3 is a dream product for audiophiles.
The unit being reviewed come from Core Series which is known for cheap cost and high-end performance. I found it great for movies and TV as it produces clear dialogues.
These 3-way speakers deliver the same sound quality at every corner of the room. At maximum volumes, Sony plays clearly and smoothly.
The maximum output power is 145 watts with a 6-ohms impedance. Furthermore, its sensitivity rating is 88dB and its frequency response ranges from 45Hz to 50,000Hz.
The sound is directed into 3 distinct ranges from these 3-way speakers. Each unit contains two high-end tweeters and two woofers for mid-range and low-end.
You can add them to your home theater for completing a Dolby Atmos setup. Each speaker is about 36 inches tall and weighs 11 pounds.
Its matte black finish and wooden MDF cabinets give an attractive outlook. However, they feature a basic type of connectivity.
- The balanced, precise, and natural soundstage
- High resolutions Sony HRS audio
- Active speakers with built-in amp
- Very durable with the excellent build quality
- Very low price for the features
- Greater portability due to lightweight
- 45Hz frequency is not ideal for bass lovers
- Do not expect bombastic loudness
5. Klipsch R-28PF-Best for Modern Home Theater
- Your purchase includes One pair of Klipsch Powered...
- Speaker dimensions (each) – 15.7” D x 9.5” W x 42” H...
Klipsch is a popular brand in the acoustic market. When finding the best speakers, we cannot ignore it. In fact, many of the Klipsch products are unavoidable.
For example, I found R-28PF an excellent choice for a modern home theater. Because it has negligible distortion due to horn-mounted tweeters and high sensitivity.
This version does not compromise on sound performance. An amazing feature of this speaker system is the built-in voltage adapter.
You can switch the voltage between 100-120 and 220-240 volts. It means this product is compatible with all sorts of electrical systems in the world.
A maximum of 260 watts of power and 114 dB output are enough to produce a room-filling sound. A built-in 260 watts amplifier is an incredible feature.
Each one is equipped with 3 drivers including dual woofers and a 1-inch aluminum tweeter fitted in the patented Tractrix horn.
The woofers are two-way thus providing decent mid and low ends. Each unit carries 57 pounds of weight and stands 42 inches tall.
Sound hardware features premium quality. The lush black finish adds great aesthetic value to your home theater.
Digital optical and AUX cables are provided for physical connection. The accompanied remote control and Bluetooth give it a modern touch.
- A versatile speaker with a switchable voltage
- An active unit with high-power built-in amplifier
- Heavy bass, flat frequency, loud sound, and dynamic range
- Wireless connectivity and control via Bluetooth and remote
- MDF cabinets and affordable price
- RCA, 3.5mm Aux, USB, Optical ports
- Sleek design, classic build, and modern look
- The aux connection is not stable
- Some users complain about durability and style
6. ELAC Debut Floorstanding Speaker-Best Acoustic Design
- New tweeter with Wide-dispersion waveguide
- New woven Aramid-Fiber woofer
I picked up ELAC Debut because it is the best budget choice. If you want the best performing floor standing speaker at a cheap cost, choose F6.
Debut 2.0 features a unique sound hardware design. It is a 3-way speaker with a bass reflex. A total of 5 drivers are installed in this unit.
They include a 1-inch tweeter, 6.5 inches woofer, and dual bass drivers. In fact, this single-tower speaker is divided into 3 sections.
The back of the speaker has 3 separate ports for each section. Sound accuracy, clarity, and balance are its specialties. The sound tests reveal that Elac delivers are reasonable bass.
In addition, it can perform well in mids and highs. With a 150 Watts output power, it can handle a 39Hz to 35KHz frequency response.
Moreover, the unit is made of MDF fiberboard with a vinyl covering. The product is heavy weighing about 44 pounds.
While its height is around 44 inches that is quite decent. Being a passive speaker, it requires an external amp.
- Cheap price and has excellent sound
- A 3-way tower speaker with efficient drivers
- Very balanced and pleasant sound
- Sturdy cabinet with a unique acoustic hardware
- Nice outlook and height
- Decent bass, mids, and highs
- Do not expect an extra loud and booming sound
- Some customers do not like aesthetic quality
7. Jamo S809-Best for Tight Budget
- Perfect combination of style and performance
- Dolby Atmos ready
The Jamo speaker pair is the best choice for a tight budget. Honestly speaking, I am feeling very excited about finding out such a gem at a cheap price.
These are studio-grade tower speakers and offer decent sound directivity. Each unit is equipped with 3 woofers and one tweeter.
The low-frequency sound effect and bass are great. Because Jamo features reflection technology with a 37Hz frequency response at the low end.
The most impressive trait is Dolby Atmos compatibility. Each speaker has a connection port to attach overhead units.
In addition, there are binding posts at the bottom to connect amplifiers or further channels.
The pair produces a well-balanced sound with a modest soundstage and high volume. It plays music very well due to its decent bass response.
Moreover, I also like its audio performance in movies. Its frequency response ranges from 37Hz to 26KHz. While the sensitivity is 90dB that is excellent.
Additionally, the impedance is 8 Ohms. This product is suitable for small and medium-sized rooms.
Each unit stands almost 45 inches tall and weighs 30 pounds. You will also love its aesthetic quality. Choose from black, white, and walnut finish.
- A steal deal at a very low cost
- Excellent audio performance
- Versatile and Dolby Atmos ready
- Bass reflection technology for decent low ends
- Expandable design for adding further units
- Wins higher customer satisfaction
- Passive speakers requiring an amp
- Poor packaging
8. Dayton Audio T652-Best Deal Breaker
- Maximum watts and impedance: The Dayton Audio T652 Dual...
- Stereo speakers for home audio: The T652 tower speakers...
T652 is a steal deal by Dayton Audio. It is a very cheap sound system with ideal sound performance.
If you do not want to spend much but want fantastic sound, this floor standing speaker is made for you. Each tower speaker has 3 drives including a tweeter and dual 6-inch woofers.
Moreover, the 150 Watts output power is amazing for outstanding performance. 6 Ohms impedance and 45 Hz to 20kHz frequency response is ideal.
You also get a decent bass response. These speakers do not distort at high volumes unlike other cheap units in the acoustic market. So, the vocals are clear and suitable for movies and TV.
I like the appearance of these speakers. They come in a black finish with an elegant look. So, the units blend pretty well in your home theater.
Each unit stands 30 inches tall. The product is versatile and compatible with various amps. Customers are highly satisfied with this wonderful product.
- Efficiently handles complete sound range from lows to highs
- Two-way tower speakers with excellent audio quality
- Cheapest floor standing speakers in the market
- Built-in microphone
- 150 watts output power and decent frequency response
- Works well with 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound systems
- Small size as compared to tower speakers
- Bass response is not ideal
- Passive speakers requiring an external amp
Also learn: Multiple Ways to Connect Studio Monitors to Audio Interface
How to Choose the Best Floor Standing Speakers: Buying Guide
The performance of a speaker depends on many factors. Choosing the best speaker is necessary for premium sound output.
Here are some important tips you should remember while purchasing a floor-standing speaker.
1. Audio Quality
The output power also tells about the audio quality. High output wattage means louder sound. However, the quality of drives still remains an important element.
2-way and 3-way speakers are good for movies, TV, and general music. Nevertheless, for dedicated music listening, 4-way speakers are better options.
Placement and setup also affect the sound output. Place them next to your TV. Nevertheless, you can try different angles and locations to get your desired results.
2. Number of Drivers
Floor standing speakers are 2-way or 3-way. Two-way means 2 dedicated drivers including one for clear highs and the other for mids and lows.
In contrast, a 3-way speaker has three dedicated drivers for all 3 audio levels. The major types of drivers in a speaker are mid-range, woofers, subwoofers, and tweeters.
Dedicated mid-range drivers are a must for premium sound. A woofer is required for nice low-ends. A subwoofer is needed to produce deep bass at low ends.
Integration of woofers and subwoofers creates a balance. However, woofers alone can also work fine.
While tweeters are meant to deliver high tones of audio content. Tweeters are of different types, dome style is the best for hi-fi audio.
3. Build Quality
Always choose the best build quality. Because floor standing speakers are enclosed in large cabinets. A poor-quality cabinet material or wood can break easily.
Hence, your speaker will be useless if the cabinet breaks. Moreover, the material quality also affects the sound. Bad design and quality cause resonance.
So, look for MDF furniture grade or wooden cabinets. Some speakers feature a removable front grille. It allows obstruction-free audio and also protects delicate parts.
A removable grille is an advantage for proper cleaning. Also, check the base and choose rubber feet to protect your floor.
4. Size of the Speaker
The size of the speaker and your home theater is a determining factor. Some speakers are smart with an average height.
If you own a small or medium-sized home theater, choose the smart speakers. Large cabinets do not necessarily mean the best sound quality.
However, bigger units do have some extra drivers and loud audio. But, they are more suitable for large rooms instead of small spaces.
5. Active or Passive Speakers
An active speaker comes with a built-in amplifier. So, it is a plug-and-play device. On the other hand, passive speakers lack an integrated amp.
Hence, you need to attach it to an external amp. An active speaker is the best choice as you do not need to find out a compatible amp.
However, if you already have an amplifier in your home theater, you can choose a passive one.
Lastly, you have to consider your budget and the cost of the speaker. Some products are cheap but efficient and worth buying.
For example, Sony SS-CS3, Jamo Studios, and ELAC Debut 2.0 are cheap products with great features. So, if you are a beginner, you can opt for such units.
However, if you are an audiophile and want a premium experience then go for expensive brands. But, do remember, high cost does not always mean the best performance.
You may also like: Best Dolby Atmos Sound Systems for Home Theater
FAQs About Floor Standing Speakers
Are floor-standing speakers a good choice for surround sound?
Floor standing speakers are a good choice for a surround sound experience. Because they reach the natural listening height and ear level. Moreover, they are equipped with all types of drivers. Therefore, tower speakers are great for surround sound.
Do floor standing speakers need a subwoofer?
Floor standing speakers can produce a good bass reflex on their own. While most of them come with a built-in subwoofer. Normally, they do not require an external sub. However, if you are an audiophile and want a deep bass, add an external subwoofer.
Are bookshelf speakers better than tower speakers?
One immediate advantage of bookshelf speakers is flexible placement. Further, they offer better integration, and coherence, and are good for small rooms. In contrast, tower speakers are large and tall. The tweeter is installed on the top and reaches ear level. They are best for larger home theaters.
What is the average lifespan of tower speakers?
Tower speakers are sturdy and durable. Premium quality units can last up to 50 years. However, it also depends on the environment, maintenance, and hardware.
How many watts a floor standing speaker should be?
It largely depends on your listening habits and content type. Generally, 200 Watts is enough with 90dB sensitivity. This power can deliver uncompressed music and great loudness. However, for a normal listener, 50 watts is enough. It will produce a decent but not earth-shaking sound.
Also review: 7 Premium Quality Sound Systems of 2022
Speakersmag’s team of experts has tested a lot of tower speakers. Many of them could not deliver ideal audio quality.
Thus, we agreed upon the top 8 floor standing speakers for under $1000. They come from all categories and price ranges. Now, you have plenty of options to choose from.
Last update on 2023-05-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API