Many users reported a common issue. The Xbox controller flashes once or blinks twice. But, turns OFF immediately and does not stay ON.
One immediate reason is the dying or weak batteries. But, replacing the batteries did not help some users. So, there are other hidden problems.
In this guide, we will consider all the causes. Further, I will suggest the best working solutions to fix such a troubling controller.
This troubleshooting guide is applicable to all Xbox versions including the S/X series, Xbox One, and 360.
1. Quick Checks
Here are some quick checks you should perform;
- Check carefully that your controller is not paired with any other console or computer.
- The batteries of the controller are fresh.
- The console is firmly plugged into the power supply outlet.
- The firmware is up-to-date.
- Try a different controller with your console to find out the culprit.
- Connect your controller to a different console or PC. This will tell you whether the hardware is fine or not.
2. Ensure Enough Power
The issue may not be with the controller. Rather, it is your console that is leading to the problem. Because it is not receiving sufficient power.
In this case, it disconnects from the controller to save energy. First of all, check the power supply. Make sure your Xbox is plugged firmly into the wall power outlet.
Next, use a multimeter to check whether the outlet has enough voltage or not. Plug a different device into the outlet to check its functioning.
Moreover, disconnect your console from any extension or surge protector. Also, check the health of the power cord and replace it if necessary.
3. Power Cycle Your Xbox Console
Your Xbox can overheat due to continuous usage. In this case, it cannot function properly. The system disconnects from external devices to avoid any damage.
So, you have to power cycle the device;
- Unplug your Xbox console from the wall power outlet.
- Wait for 2-5 minutes.
- Now, reconnect the power cord and turn the system ON.
- You can try power cycling two or more times.
- In the next attempt, also disconnect all the peripheral devices and increase the time.
4. Follow the Correct Pairing Method
Some users do not how to pair the gadgets correctly. Therefore, they face the blinking issue. Follow the officially recommended steps;
- First, turn ON your console. It is a very important step to remember; you should not turn ON the controller first.
- Now, check the batteries of your Xbox controller and turn it ON. You have to press the “Xbox” button.
- Press the “Pair” button on the Xbox console. It is a tiny button usually located at the front and has a signal icon.
- Finally, press the Xbox button on the controller.
- You have to do this within 20 seconds of enabling the pairing mode on the console.
- Make sure both gadgets are less than 19 feet away.
5. Reconnect Xbox Controller
Reconnecting the gadgets is a very useful tip. Try reconnecting both devices twice or thrice. Restart both controller and the console.
Further, make sure you are within range. The controller should not be too far away from the console. Ideally, they should be within 19-28 feet.
Keep them closer to solving the issue. Moreover, you cannot pair more than 8 controllers to your Xbox console.
So, check this by going to “Guide>Accessories menu>Devices & Connections”. Disconnect the controllers that are not in use.
6. Connect via USB Cable
Generally, pairing issues occur on a wireless connection. However, you can also connect both gadgets via the USB cable. Use the compatible cable provided with your device.
Simply plug it into both controller and the console. There are two USB ports on the front of the console, use one of them. Now, check if the issue is resolved or not.
7. Replace the Batteries
The batteries of your controller are dead. Therefore, it blinks and turns OFF. So, replace it with the fresh and recommended AA batteries.
If it does the same, remove and reinsert the batteries. Recharge the battery if it is not replaceable. You should not insert already used batteries.
For example, some people try to run their Xbox controller with the remote control batteries.
8. Install the Latest Updates
The firmware of your gadgets is outdated. Therefore, they face trouble while pairing. So, check the update on both devices.
Updating the Controller
- Download the “Xbox Accessories” app on your computer.
- Make sure your controller has fresh batteries or is charged enough.
- Connect the Xbox controller to the PC via the USB cable.
- Run the program and it will show if an update is available.
- Install the latest firmware by proceeding as per the on-screen instructions.
Updating the Console
- Connect your Xbox console to a strong internet.
- Open the “Guide” by pressing the Xbox button.
- Next, choose the “Profile & System” tab.
- Go to “Settings” and click on “System”.
- Click “Updates” and you will be shown a message. If “Console Update Available” appears, download it.
- Finally, reconnect both gadgets and check if the blinking issue is removed or not.
FAQs About Xbox
Here are some common questions that may be coming to your mind. Let us discuss your concerns and queries.
What to do if Xbox wired controller is not working?
Simply, power cycle your controller. Press and hold the Xbox button for 5-10 seconds. Let the gadget turn OFF completely. After 30-60 seconds, turn ON the controller by pressing the same button. Another solution is to unplug the controller from the console. Then, plug it in again after a few seconds. Also, power cycle your console. Connect the controller to another USB port on your console.
What type of headset is compatible with Xbox One?
A wired headset can be connected to Xbox One. But, it must have a 3.5mm audio jack. Otherwise, the connection is not possible. However, you should look at the label on the package while buying a headset. If it says “For Xbox”, it must work with your Xbox.
What does “SS” stand for on Xbox?
The “SS” stands for “SuperSpeed”. It means your gadget features fast speed. It has either USB 3.0, 3.1, or 3.2. Xbox released after 2017 is equipped with USB 3.2. So, they ensure stronger wired connections and faster data transmission.
Can I reduce input lag on my Xbox by making a wired connection?
A wired connection is better and you can reduce input lag significantly. However, you should use the compatible and original USB cable. An Xbox can be connected to your PC both wired and wirelessly. Likewise, you can also plug the controller into the console using the cable.
So, I have covered all the solutions in this article. You can apply my suggested hacks to any of the Xbox series or models. If no trick helps, contact Xbox for official support and repair.
Hopefully, your problem “Xbox controller flashes or blinks twice and turns OFF” has been solved. Stay connected for the latest updates.