Wyze cameras are widely used for security purposes. They can record both shorter and longer videos. However, some users report that their Wyze continuous recording is not working.
This problem can be caused by a number of reasons. For example, insufficient storage space, corrupted or cheap SD card, or a weak Wifi connection.
Most probably, your camera is facing software bugs. There could be many other reasons. We cannot point out the problem randomly.
Instead, we need to apply multiple troubleshooting tricks. Therefore, we have found some easy and useful tips for you.
Before calling a technician, you should try these tricks. You can fix your Wyze camera at home by trying our suggested solutions.
1. An Important Check
The first and foremost thing you need to ensure is that your camera has an SD card. Because Wyze surveillance camera records 12-second footage by default.
The footage is then uploaded to Cloud storage. The recording does not start until the first minute is completed.
This is very inconvenient, especially for those who want to record continuously. However, this default setting is meant to provide you with a fast response.
Because longer video clips take much time to upload. The server becomes slow and this also leads to many other issues.
The best solution to this problem is that you must use an SD card to store the recorded videos. Wyze suggests using a 32 GB class 10 microSD card featuring FAT32 formatting.
You can use other types of SD cards. But, it is advised to stick to the instructions to avoid any inconvenience.
2. Confirm Subscription
Most of the time, users cannot subscribe to Cam Plus correctly. Other times, the subscription is outdated or not activated.
Therefore, the continuous recording fails to work. A quick hack is to unsubscribe and re-subscribe to your account. The process is as follows;
- Open the Wyze Setup Page on your PC to access Cam Plus. Go to ‘Account’ and then ‘Services’.
- Choose ‘Cam Plus’ and then click the ‘Edit’ tab.
- Uncheck the ‘Wyze Cam’ and tap the ‘Activate’ button.
- Reboot your device and then check the ‘Wyze Cam’ and click ‘Activate’.
- Now, record a longer video and check if the continuous recording works or not.
3. Power Cycle Your Wyze
A security camera usually works 24/7. It gets overheated easily and starts malfunctioning. To solve this problem, you should power cycle your device. The method is as follows;
- While your Wyze is turned ON, unplug it from the wall power outlet.
- Wait for 60 seconds or more. Let it cool down and drain the power.
- Plug the power switch of your device again into a working power outlet.
- Now, turn your camera ON and check its performance.
4. Adjust Settings
If still, your Wyze is posing the same issue, you need to adjust a few settings. It is necessary to set the cooldown time and maximum video length manually.
- You can adjust these settings by the following steps;
- Launch the Wyze app on your phone or another device.
- Navigate to the ‘Wyze Cam Outdoor’ tab and then open ‘Settings’.
- Click the ‘Event Recording’ option. Next, choose ‘Recording Cooldown’ from the submenu. Change its value to an appropriate range.
- Now, click the ‘Maximum Video Length’ tab and also adjust its value to the normal range.
- Hopefully, it will help fix the recording issue.
5. Check the SD Card Storage
One of the immediate reasons is that the SD card does not have enough storage space. You need to check this aspect.
If the SD card has little or no capacity, replace it with a new card or transfer its data to your computer.
Moreover, you should also keep in mind that most of the Wyze cameras support only 32GB SD cards. A 64GB card cannot work properly on a Wyze. So, try the compatible card.
6. Use A Quality SD Card
If the SD card is of low quality, it can lead to a recording problem. There are a lot of fake brands in the market. Such SD cards corrupt after a short time.
So, they not only cause data loss but also money loss. Therefore, we recommend you always purchase a genuine micro SD card from a reputable brand.
An effective trick to check your card is by using it with some other device. Insert your SD card into your computer to check whether it records longer videos or not.
Moreover, use a different SD card with your Wyze. In this way, you can confirm which device is faulty.
You May Also Like: 10 Fixes For iPhone Camera Not Working
7. Ensure A Strong Wifi Connection
Continuous recording on your Wyze stops working if it is not connected to Wifi. The Wifi signal may be weak or disconnecting frequently.
The bandwidth and range of your Wifi may be less. Ensure the minimum distance between your Wifi router and Wyze Cam.
Connect another device such as a smartphone or PC to the same Wifi network to check the signal strength. Another helpful tip is to power cycle, reconnect, and reset your Wifi.
You can power cycle the Wifi router by unplugging it for 60 seconds and then reconnecting to your device.
Press the reset button on the router or consult the user manual to find out the exact reset process.
8. Update Wyze Firmware
Keeping your Wyze camera up to date is necessary to avoid any issues. Because outdated firmware catches bugs.
This creates a lot of issues including the continuous recording not working. The latest firmware versions come with bug fixes.
Hence, they can solve such issues. The update method is as follows;
- Launch the Wyze app on your smartphone.
- Tap the ‘Account’ tab and scroll down.
- Click the ‘Firmware Update’ option and tap your Wyze Cam in the list.
- Select ‘Update’ and proceed further by following the on-screen prompts.
- Once the update process is complete, restart your Wyze and check the continuous recording again.
9. Customize Recording Settings
Once you have inserted the SD card into your Wyze, customize its settings. By default, your camera records 12 seconds clips. You should change it according to your requirements. Follow these steps;
- Unplug your Wyze Cam from the power source.
- Now, launch the Wyze app on your phone and tap the camera you want to record continuously.
- Open ‘Settings’ by clicking the gear icon on the top right corner of the phone screen.
- Choose the ‘Advanced Settings’ option. Navigate to the ‘Local Recording to micro SD card’.
- It will provide you with two options including ‘Record Alerts Only’ and ‘Continuous Recording’.
- toggle the slider to ON position to apply either setting.
- If you choose ‘Records Alerts Only’, it will set the recording time to 60 seconds.
- Whenever the camera detects a motion trigger, it dials back the recording timer.
- You should choose ‘Continuous Recording’ for nonstop Wyze functioning.
Tips for Recording Settings
You can record in 360p, SD, or HD formats on your Wyze camera. When the continuous recording feature is turned ON, the camera automatically records in HD.
However, the recording settings should be chosen according to the SD card storage and hours of footage. HD recording format requires more storage space as compared to SD.
A 32 GB microSD card can record HD content for 2-3 days. While the same card records for 7-8 days in SD format.
10. Format the SD Card
The SD card being used in your Wyze may have software bugs. These can be removed by formatting the SD card. You can format it through the Wyze app or through your computer.
This will delete all the data on your SD card. So, make sure to back up the data before formatting it.
- Pull out the SD card from your Wyze and insert it into a PC.
- Your PC should recognize the card immediately.
- Copy or transfer the important data into your computer or create a backup.
- You can use Google Drive or other third-party backup services.
- Open the card menu and navigate to the ‘Format’ option.
- Confirm the process and check the recording feature again.
11. Seek Manufacturer’s Assistance
The above-mentioned tricks must fix your issue. Nevertheless, if continuous recording on your Wyze is still not working, contact Wyze.
You can send a log to the developers so that they can review and diagnose the issue. Follow these steps accurately;
- Open your Wyze account and click ‘Help & Feedback’.
- Select ‘Submit a Log’, fill out the form that appears. Save your Log ID for later use.
- Finally, wait for the developer’s reply and act accordingly.
Also read: Reviews on Top 10 Smartwatches for iPhone
This is all about fixing the Wyze Cam. We have suggested all the possible and potential solutions. Be patient while you try these tips.
If you put in some effort and time, you can adjust your surveillance system at home.
Fixing electronic gadgets at home not only saves money but also provides you with knowledge.
Therefore, this guide has listed 10 useful hacks that can solve your problem of Wyze continuous recording not working.
Hi, I’m Noor Alam, founder of SpeakersMag.com. I love music and got my Bachelor’s degree in Sound Engineering. Now I have started my own blog about music products. Just like you, I also love different music products and in my spare time, I share my knowledge with audio lovers on this site.