Vizio is a younger brand in the TV market. But, it has gained popularity within a limited time. However, many users face one common issue with this TV; Vizio black screen with sound.
The TV delivers sound but no picture is displayed. This problem is caused by many reasons. For example, the software issue, or most likely a hardware failure causes a black screen.
In this article, we will tell you all the major causes of Vizio TV’s black screen. Further, we have found the best working solutions to solve this issue.
We are sure that by the end of this article, your Vizio TV will be displaying pictures along with sound. Just try all the mentioned solutions in the correct order.
Table of Contents
1. Check all the Connections
The first and foremost thing you should do is to check the connection cables. Make sure your Vizio TV is plugged in firmly in the power outlet.
Also, check other connection cables like HDMI, Wifi, or streaming devices. One reason for black TV screens is the problem with the streaming device.
It may not be sending signals, so pictures cannot be displayed on the TV screen. Just unplug all the connections from your Vizio TV and plug back in after a few minutes.
Moreover, try to reset the connected devices like Wifi router, streaming stick, cable, or set-top box.
2. The Wrong Input Channel
Vizio TV black screen with sound can also be caused by the wrong input channel. Press the input or source button on your Vizio TV remote and move through all the channels.
The right channel will display a picture and you should save it. Input comes from different sources on your TV such as Wifi network, cable box, or streaming device.
If you have connected your TV to the internet and selected the streaming device as the input channel, the wrong command will cause the black screen.
So, you need to select the right input channel. Also, confirm that your network is working well, the streaming device is plugged in properly and the HDMI connection is strong.
3. Soft Reset Your Vizio TV
The most basic solution to fix the Vizio TV black screen is resetting your TV. First of all, perform a soft and quick reset by the following method;
- Power off your Vizio TV through remote control or a physical power button.
- Now, unplug the TV from the wall power outlet.
- Wait a minimum of 60 seconds and a maximum of 60 minutes.
- Press and hold the power button on your TV set for 30 seconds.
- Finally, plug in the power cable and look for the picture display.
4. Hard/Factory Reset Your Vizio TV
Restoring your TV to factory settings will delete all the data. You will need to customize the settings again.
If the soft reset does not work then hard/factory reset your Vizio TV by the following method;
- Unplug and disconnect all the devices like a streaming stick, soundbar, Bluetooth devices from your TV.
- Press the ‘Menu’ button on your TV remote.
- Next, select ‘System’ and then ‘Reset and Admin’, press the ‘OK’ button.
- Choose the option, ‘Reset TV to Factory Defaults.
- This will require the reset password that is ‘0000’ by default.
- Next, confirm the process by highlighting the ‘Reset’ button.
- Your Vizio TV will restart after the reset process is complete.
- On your TV set, press and hold the ‘input’ and ‘Volume down’ buttons for 10-15 seconds.
- Wait until the TV screen shows a banner saying to press the input button. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the factory reset process.
5. Update Firmware on Your Vizio TV
Vizio TV black screen is also caused by outdated firmware. You should keep the software up to date so that your Vizio TV can work well.
Follow the directions given below to update your TV’s firmware;
- Connect your TV to a reliable internet connection.
- Now, press the ‘V’ button on your TV remote, it will open the TV settings on the screen.
- Select ‘System’ from the list and then click on the “Check for updates” option.
- After scanning, the TV will show if any update is available.
- Click on download and install the update.
- Your Vizio TV will restart two times during the process.
Remember that you should not perform any function or turn off your TV while it is updating. This trick can solve the black screen issue.
Related: Vizio TV Slow to Turn ON
6. Perform Some Hardware Tests
If your Vizio TV is giving sound with a black screen, it means the problem is specific to the picture. A software issue can be solved by resetting or updating the TV.
However, there may be some failed hardware components. You can test this in two ways;
- Press the menu/home button on your Vizio TV or remote.
- If the menu opens on the screen, the problem is not grave.
Another test you should perform is the flashlight test. This test will check the health of the backlight of your TV. If the backlight is failed, your Vizio TV turns on with a black screen displaying no picture.
Follow these instructions to perform this test;
- Power on your Vizio TV and reduce light in the room.
- Take a working flashlight and throw its light from a distance of two inches from your Vizio TV screen.
- Look carefully, you will see a blurred image on the TV screen. This indicates the failure of the inverter board.
7. Vizio Black Screen with Sound: A Hardware Fix
If all the software fixes fail to fix your TV then it has a hardware defect. Most likely, the power board of your Vizio TV has failed. Replacing it can solve the problem.
It is not a tricky thing and you can replace it at home. We will tell you the complete method of replacing the power board.
You need a soft towel or sheet to cover your TV screen and a Philips screwdriver before starting the process. Now, follow these guidelines;
- Put your TV with the screen down on a table that is covered by a towel to protect the screen.
- Open all the screws on the back of your Vizio TV using the Philips screwdriver.
- Once the back cover is opened, find the fuses in your TV, usually, they are five in number.
- Carefully observe and replace any blown fuse. It can solve the issue.
If there are no blown fuses, the power board needs to be replaced.
- Remove the wires connected to the power board and also open all its screws.
- Now, you can take out the power board.
- Place the new power board in place of the old board and tighten all the screws.
- Next, carefully connect all the wires with the power board.
- Put the TV’s back cover on and close it by tightening all the screws.
Now, power on your TV and it will display picture along with the sound.
8. Seek Technical Assistance
Vizio TV black screen is not caused by the failed power board always. There are other important hardware components such as inverter board, LED, or LCD screen that might have failed.
But, you should be able to find out the real defect. If you don’t have the basic technical knowledge then consult a professional TV mechanic to get it fixed.
The TV screen can also be replaced but may be expensive. So, consider replacing the TV instead. Another option is to contact VIZIO Support in case your TV is under warranty.
We hope, you have liked this article. We have told you both software and hardware fixes to solve the issue of the Vizio black screen with sound.
Giving a try to the software solutions is necessary. Because the issue is not intricate sometimes and can be solved easily and quickly.
Nevertheless, if software fixes fail then you must try a hardware fix. You can check hardware components at home. But, it is better to seek technical assistance.
We are sure any of these solutions have fixed your Vizio TV black screen with sound and now it is displaying pictures.