It seems very difficult to turn OFF an iPhone with a cracked or unresponsive screen. But, there is a quick method to turn OFF your iPhone without touching the screen.
If you own any other model of the iPhone, continue reading this article. It will help you turn OFF your iPhone when screen is broken or unresponsive. Normally, when you shut down your iPhone, you have to drag the power OFF slider. However, if the screen is broken, cracked, or frozen, this method does not work.
So, you need to find an alternate trick that is provided in this guide.
Turn OFF Various iPhone Models Without Screen
Apple has been releasing newer models of iPhones since it was first launched. They differ in some software features as well as hardware specs.
For example, the ‘Sleep/Wake’ button is located on the bottom of some models while on the side of other models.
It has different names depending on the model such as the Side button, Home button, Power button, and Sleep/Wake button. So, the turn OFF method also varies a little.
iPhone 8 and Later
This method works for iPhone X, iPhone 11, 12, iPhone 8, and later models.
It involves three buttons on your iPhone 11; the volume up and down buttons on the left and the sleep/wake or side button on the right side. The steps are as follows;
- Press the ‘Volume Up’ button and release it immediately.
- Without delay, press the ‘Volume Down’ button and release it.
- Quickly after, press and hold the ‘Sleep/Wake’ button until the ‘Power OFF’ slider appears on the screen.
- Keep holding the button till the screen goes OFF.
- Be sure to quickly release the button at this point, because if you hold it too long, the phone will restart.
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
- Press and hold the Home/Power button (at the middle of the bottom) and the ‘Volume Down’ button at the same time.
- Keep holding both buttons until the screen turns OFF.
- Do not hold too long otherwise, the device will restart.
iPhone 6S and Earlier
- Press and hold the Power button along with the Home button simultaneously.
- Release the buttons when the screen turns OFF.
Turning OFF iPhone via Assistive Touch
If you cannot touch your iPhone screen, Assistive touch is there to help you. It acts as a virtual key and you can perform various functions with its help.
You should enable Assistive Touch on your iPhone as a precautionary measure to get out of any bad situation. It can be enabled by the following methods;
- Ask Siri to activate Assistive touch on your iPhone or turn it ON manually.
- Go to ‘Settings’ on your iPhone and then click the ‘Accessibility’ option.
- Next, tap the ‘Touch’ option and click ‘Assistive Touch to enable it.
- A button will show on the screen, tap it and then the ‘Device’ option.
- Next, press and hold the ‘Lock Screen’ button and move the power slider to turn OFF your iPhone.
Related: Activate New iPhone From Old iPhone
If you have further questions regarding the iPhones, read the answers below;
Does Assistive Touch on iPhone cause the battery to drain faster?
No, it is a false assumption that Assistive Touch drains the battery. It is just a convenience tool in case you can not touch the screen and want to perform a function quickly.
What to do when my iPhone is frozen?
Force restart your iPhone by the above-mentioned methods. If it still does not work, charge it for an hour. Also, check the hardware and charging tools. If nothing works then you must contact Apple support.
What causes my iPhone to freeze?
There are a number of reasons behind a frozen iPhone. For example, bad software, slow processors, insufficient memory storage, and software glitches. Moreover, a glitch in the software or in a particular app can also freeze your iPhone screen.
How to Force Turn OFF/Restart iPhone When Screen is Frozen
If you want to turn ON your iPhone, long-press the Power/Side/Home button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
This guide briefly explained how can you turn OFF an iPhone without touching the screen. Stay connected with us to read more informative articles.