A TCL TV is a great choice for home entertainment. But, your watch experience is ruined when the TV screen goes black. This article will help you fix your TCL TV black screen.
Although your TV powers on yet it does not display any picture and the TV screen remains black. There are a number of reasons for this problem. The fault may be minor or major.
For example, loose or faulty connection cables, software glitches, defective circuit boards, or blown-out fuses.
First of all, you should try software fixes to resolve the issue, TCL TV black screen. If they cannot solve the problem then go for a hardware repair.
1. Power Cycle Your TCL TV
This is the best solution for all the technical issues with your TV. A power cycle drains out the power and improves the performance of your TV.
In addition, power cycling your TV will remove the cache and will adjust the wrong settings. So, you can power cycle your TCL TV by the following method;
- Power off your TV by pressing the power button on the remote or the TV set.
- Wait for the LED light to go off and then unplug your TV from the power outlet.
- After 1 or 2 minutes, plug the TV back into the power supply.
- Now, turn on your TV and observe the screen.
- Also, try to power cycle your TCL TV remote;
- Open the battery cover of your remote and remove its batteries.
- Insert the batteries again after 1 or 2 minutes.
2. Reset Your TCL TV
If power cycling does not make any effect then reset your TV. Since your TV screen does not come on, you cannot reset it by accessing the menu. But, there is a reset button on your TV.
You can use this button for resetting the TV;
- Power off your TCL TV and disconnect it from the power outlet.
- Locate the reset button at the back or side of your TV. It is in the form of a tiny hole.
- Take a pen or paperclip and enter it into this hole labeled ‘Reset’.
- Press the pen or clip inside and hold it for 30 seconds.
- After that turn on your TV and look at whether the issue has been solved or not.
If you own a TCL Roku TV, you can reset it through the remote.
- On your TCL Roku TV remote, press the ‘Home’ button 5 times.
- Now, press ‘Up’ one time and ‘Rewind’ 2 times.
- Next, press ‘Fast forward’ twice.
- Don’t delay the process and follow the order correctly.
- This will reset your TV and hopefully will resolve the issue of the black screen.
3. Examine the Cables
Your TCL TV is connected to some source device such as a streaming device, gaming console, or internet.
Some devices plug in directly into your TV while others are connected through an HDMI or Optical cable. If this connection is loose or the cable is defective, your TV screen will go black.
Because it is unable to receive signals from the source hence does not display any media. So, it is very necessary to check the cable connections.
The best trick is to unplug all the cables and devices from your TV. Clean the connection ports both on the TV and on the device.
Wait a few minutes and reconnect all the cables and devices. Restart your TV and the black screen issue should be solved now.
Another important thing is to check the health of the cables, they should not be damaged or loosely plugged in. Use another HDMI cable to see if it makes a difference.
4. Reset Your Wifi Router
If you have connected your TV to the Wifi router, check the connection strength. Connect some other device to your Wifi network to test its performance.
If you have connected the Wifi wirelessly, try to connect it through the Ethernet cable. Your TCL TV has an Ethernet port and you need an Ethernet cable to connect the Wifi.
If the black screen issue persists only on Wifi and not on other streaming devices, your TCL TV is fine.
Resetting your Wifi modem/router can also do the trick. The basic reset method is to power cycle your router. Turn the router off and disconnect it from the wall power outlet.
Wait for 2 or 3 minutes and plug back the router into the power supply. Reconnect it with your TV.
5. Update the Firmware of Your TCL TV
Android ecosystem is most popular for modern TVs. If your TCL TV is running the older firmware, it is likely to suffer issues like black screen.
The latest firmware update comes with new features as well as security settings. So, updating the firmware can resolve the software issues and your TV will start working normally.
You can update firmware on your TCL TV by the following method;
- Connect your TV to a reliable and stable internet connection.
- On your TCL TV remote, press the ‘Home’ button to open the menu.
- Select ‘Settings’ and go to ‘More Settings’.
- Next, click on ‘Device preferences’ and then choose ‘About’.
- Tap the option ‘System Update’ and next choose ‘Network Update’.
- If any software update is available, download and install it.
- Do not perform any function and avoid turning off your TV during the process.
- Once the process is complete, restart your TV and check for the black screen issue.
Related: Split RCA for multiple amps
6. Enable/Disable the Fast Start Option
Your TCL TV has a fast start option that can cause a black screen. Many TCL users resolved the black screen issue by tweaking the fast start mode. You should also check this option.
Follow the below-mentioned steps for TCL Roku TV;
- On your Roku TV remote, press the ‘Home’ button.
- Open ‘Settings’ and then go to ‘System’.
- Select ‘Fast TV Start’. If it is disabled, enable it. However, if this option is enabled, disable it. Doing this can solve the issue of the black screen.
The process is a bit different for TCL Android TV;
- Press the ‘Home’ button on the remote and go to ‘settings’.
- Next, choose the ‘Power’ option.
- Choose the ‘Instant Power On’ settings and turn it off/on depending on its current status.
- Restart your TV and the black screen issue should solve now.
7. Restore Factory Settings on Your TCL TV
This is the last option to fix your TCL TV black screen. Because a factory reset makes your TV totally new. It deletes all the data and apps, resets all the settings to default, and removes account information.
So, you will need to customize everything again. But, this operation has a 90% chance to resolve your issue.
Hence, you must try it before taking your TV to a hardware repair shop. The factory reset method is different for TCL Roku and Android TVs.
Follow these steps correctly to factory reset your TCL Roku TV;
- Open the TV menu by pressing the ‘Home’ button on the remote.
- Go to ‘Settings’ and select ‘System’ from the list.
- Navigate to ‘Advanced System Settings’ and next choose ‘Factory Reset’.
- Click on ‘Factory reset everything’. It may require a passcode or pin, enter the code, and move forward.
To perform a factory reset on your TCL Android TV, follow these steps;
- On your Android TV remote, press the ‘Home’ button to open the settings.
- Open ‘More Settings’ and then choose ‘Device Preferences’.
- Choose the ‘Reset’ option and tap on ‘Factory date reset’.
- Click on ‘Erase everything’, enter the PIN if it asks, and press the ‘OK’ button.
8. Test the Hardware of Your TCL TV
Most probably, the LCD strips or backlight of your TV have been expired. You can perform a simple test to check the hardware;
- Turn off the light in the room where your TV is placed.
- Turn on your TV and shine a flashlight on its screen.
- Look carefully if any strips or shapes appear on the screen.
- This is an indication that the backlight of your TV has failed.
In case, you cannot see shapes at the first test, repeat it three times. However, if nothing appears on the screen then the mainboard, t-con board, or panel board of your TV is defective. It needs replacement, consult a technician.
TCL TV is one of the best 4K HD TVs for price and performance. If your TV creates some issue, do not be worried. Because every problem can be solved as this article has told you the best-verified solutions of black screen.
However, if none of the above-mentioned tricks works then your TCL TV has a hardware defect. You should consult a TV mechanic for a thorough inspection.
Otherwise, you can contact TCL Support to submit a complaint. If your TV is under warranty, the company will replace or fix your TCL TV black screen free of cost.