Both JBL Charge 3 and JBL Charge 4 are waterproof, portable Bluetooth speakers. They prove the best companions for outdoor entertainment like the pool and beach. However, they have some differences and similarities. Before proceeding further, let us briefly compare and contrast the JBL Charge 3 and JBL Charge 4. Then we will proceed to know what to do if your JBL Charge 3 or JBL Charge 4 is not charging.
Table of Contents
JBL Charge 3 and JBL Charge 4: Comparison and Contrast
JBL Charge 4 is the upgraded version of JBL Charge 3. Some features have been added and some have been deleted.
- JBL Charge 3 has a 6000 mAh battery. While JBL Charge 4 has a 7500 mAh Lithium-ion battery. The batteries of both JBL speakers last up to 20 hours and almost take 4.5 to 5.5 hours to charge.
- JBL charge 4 is a full-spectrum powerful speaker. It is a Bluetooth, portable and waterproof speaker.JBL Charge 3 also has the same specs.
- The JBL Charge 4 is slightly bigger and heavier than JBL Charge 3. The bass and loudness are a little bit improved.
- Unlike JBL Charge 3, JBL Charge 4 does not have a microphone for voice control.
- The price also differs, JBL Charge 4 is costlier than JBL Charge 3.
- The design of JBL charge 4 and Charge 3 is similar. Both have a hidden charging port. You can charge both speakers through a DC input USB-C port.
- The buttons and battery status gauge are also the same.
Related: How to Charge JBL Charge 4?
Solving the Charging Issue of JBL Charge 3 or 4
Sometimes you may face the issue of charging. There are a number of reasons behind JBL 3 and JBL 4 not charging. For example, the issues in settings, charging ports, charging cable, or power supply. However, it may be difficult to find out the actual reason.
But, do not worry. We have come up with some solutions for you. This article provides you full guidance that how to fix the JBL Charge 3 and JBL Charge 4 if they are not charging.
There are different solutions that you may consider if your JBL Charge 3 or 4 not charging. These solutions work well for both speakers.
Solution 1: Change the Charging Cable
The charging cord may be faulty that’s why your JBL charging 3 or 4 is not charging. The charging cable damages after a long time of use. Another reason is that the cord is bent constantly and becomes defective from inside. Dirt may also be a reason for the non-functional charging cord. You should try charging the speaker using another cable. You can use any type-C USB cable. If it works then surely your old power cord is damaged.
Solution 2: Change the Charger
A defective charger is another issue that caused trouble in charging JBL 4. The charger gets defective when its USB port stops working due to some fault. Another reason is that the internal board of the charger may be damaged. So, you should try another charger to charge your JBL charge 4. The Android phone charger can also be used to charge your JBL charge 4.
Solution: 3 Clean Your Speaker
Both the JBL Charge 3 and 4 are waterproof speakers. You may most likely use your speaker in the outdoor environment. So, the speaker grill or ports accumulate dust and even water. In this case, the charger does not fit properly. Hence, your speaker is not charged. You should thoroughly clean the charging port. You can use a small brush, toothpick, earbuds to remove the dirt. Blowing off also removes most of the dirt. After performing this function, try to charge your JBL speaker. This method works in many cases.
Solution 4: Replace the Battery
If all the above methods do not work then you should check the battery of your JBL speaker. Unfortunately, you have to change your battery. We recommend consulting the manufacturer so that you may get a genuine battery.
The battery becomes defective when you use the speaker carelessly. For example, a major reason is overcharging. The power supply remains on even when the battery is full. Exposure to heat or sun may also be a reason for a defective battery. Although, the JBL speakers are waterproof yet you should avoid constant contact with water. The water may enter the charging port to cause rust.
Solution 5: Factory Reset
The main reason for the charging issue may be overloading. The device stores a lot of data and hence slows down. Resetting the speaker to its factory setting is a helpful troubleshooting step. If your speaker is posing any other problem, the factory reset can also help. The factory reset process is quite simple and you can perform it just in a minute.
Follow these guidelines to perform the factory reset function.
- Turn the speaker on by pressing the power button.
- Now, simultaneously press the ‘volume’ up and ‘play’ buttons and hold them until the speaker turns off. It takes only five seconds.
- The final step is to turn on the speaker and charge it again.
- Hopefully, this action solves the issue of JBL Charge 3 or 4 not charging.
Solution 6: Check the Circuit Board
The circuit board of the speaker may damage. It is a common problem if you use your JBL speakers carelessly. It gets damaged if it constantly encounters water. The internal circuit of the JBL speaker stops working. You need to consult the manufacturer to get your JBL speaker repaired.
Related: JBL Flip 4 Not Charging
How to Extend Life of Your JBL Charge 3 or JBL Charge 4?
JBL speakers are durable devices. They are designed well and are protected by a grill. However, handling a JBL speaker needs some precautions. Usually, your speaker damages when you do not use it carefully.
We recommend you some actions, you should follow to extend the life of your JBL Charge 3 or 4.
- Do not delay charging. Keep an eye on the charging indicators. Connect the charger as soon as all the charging indicators turn off except the last one.
- Do not overcharge your speaker. When all the charging indicators glow, it means your speaker is about to charge. When it is fully charged the lights will turn off. You should remove the charger at this point.
- Avoid constant contact with water. Both the JBL Charge 3 and 4 are waterproof speakers but it does not mean that you put them into water. Water may enter the speaker and damages its internal parts.
- Do not expose your JBL speaker to heat and sun. If you use it outdoor, be sure to place it in a cool environment. Too much heat damages the speaker.
- Keep your speaker clean and dirt-free. Small dust particles accumulate in the grill or charging port. They affect the functioning of the speaker. So, you should clean it after short intervals.
- Do not use your JBL speaker during charging. Charging heats up the speaker and playing music also heats it up. If you use your speaker during charging, the heat is doubled. This affects the functioning of JBLs badly.
- Another recommendation is to perform a factory reset on your JBL speaker. You should reset it when you face some trouble in functioning. Just like a PC or mobile phone, JBL also needs to be refreshed. It enhances efficiency and also increases the life of your speaker.
We hope this article helped you solve the problem of JBL Charge 3 or JBL Charge 4 not charging. We also guided you that how can you maintain the health of your speaker. Electronic devices need to be handled with care. If you follow the above-mentioned instructions, your JBL may serve you longer than usual.
Hi, I’m Noor Alam, founder of SpeakersMag.com. I love music and got my Bachelor’s degree in Sound Engineering. Now I have started my own blog about music products. Just like you, I also love different music products and in my spare time, I share my knowledge with audio lovers on this site. Read more about me