This article will teach you how to connect two monitors to one computer with one VGA port. Most of the computers come with only one VGA port.
So, it seems tricky to connect to monitors with it. You can get the information of the primary desktop on both monitors or you can display different content on both monitors.
There are various methods of making this dual connection. We will explain both of them. You can choose either one depending on your budget and convenience.
Method 1: VGA Splitter
A quick and cheap method is to purchase a VGA splitter. This will allow you to connect two monitors to your computer that has only one VGA port.
You can set up the system by the following steps;
- Shut down your computer and disconnect it from the power supply.
- Disconnect the monitor from its VGA port.
- Now, take a VGA splitter with two ports and dual VGA cables.
- Insert the female connector of both VGA cables into the splitter.
- Next, plug in the two male connectors of the VGA cables into your two monitors.
- Insert the single cable of the VGA port into the VGA port on your computer.
- The VGA splitter also has a USB cable that you need to plug into the USB port of your computer.
- Switch ON your computer and both monitors.
Method 2: KVM Switch
A KVM switch is another option to connect two monitors to your computer having a single VGA port. This device is widely used by administrators.
Because it allows you to control multiple computers from a single keyboard, mouse, and video monitor. This switch works as a linking device between your computer and monitors.
You can even connect more than two monitors. The connection process is as follows;
- Shut down your computer and both monitors, disconnect them from the power supply.
- Connect the KVM switch to the wall power outlet using the power adapter.
- Take two DisplayPort cables. Connect each cable with each monitor and plug in their other ends into the ports on your KVM switch.
- Connect the cable of the KVM switch to the VGA port on your computer.
- Turn ON all the devices and the setup is complete.
Method 3: Video Card
Since your computer has a basic video card, therefore, it has only one VGA port. The number of VGA ports can be increased by changing the video card.
Replace it with one having multiple VGA connections. However, this method is expensive and time-consuming. Because a video card is a hardware component.
So, you need expertise in order to change it or consult a professional. A great advantage of the video card is that it causes no loss and ensures high-resolution videos.
Method 4: USB to VGA Adapter
This is also a good option to connect two monitors to one computer with only one VGA port on it. All you need to do is purchase a USB-to-VGA adapter.
It should be available in your nearby electronic store. However, you need to choose the adapter that can support extended desktop functionality.
It will allow you to extend your desktop onto another monitor. Moreover, you can drag windows to rearrange them.
This adapter comes with software offering you multiple customization options. You can rotate and change the resolution of each display.
Configuring the Two Monitors With One Computer
Once you have successfully connected two monitors to one computer, you need to configure them. The process is as follows;
- Open the ‘Start’ menu on your computer by pressing the ‘Window’ icon on the bottom left or clicking the ‘Window’ key.
- Next, click the ‘Settings’ tab and then choose ‘Personalization’.
- Navigate to the ‘Adjust screen resolution’ option. You can configure your monitors here.
- Now, click the ‘Detect’ option to adjust your two monitors labeled as number 1 and number 2.
- Choose the ‘Multiple Displays’ and then ‘Extend Displays’. This function will extend the view of your original monitor.
- You will be viewing the screens of both monitors on your desktop. You can adjust them by dragging.
- In case, you want to mirror both monitors, enable the ‘Duplicate Display’ option.
- Also, check the resolution and orientation of both monitors.
Important to Note
It is pretty simple to connect two monitors to one computer with one VGA port. Nevertheless, you should be aware of the drawbacks of this connection.
The color quality of the monitors is reduced. Moreover, the signal transmission also becomes weaker when you connect through a VGA splitter.
This affects your gaming performance by posing lags. Furthermore, the resolution and frame rate of both screens is affected if the graphic card is weak.
Another drawback is that the bandwidth of the VGA ports causes limitations. VGA is an analog connection that is not ideal over longer distances.
So, if you own modern HD monitors, splitter suppresses their efficiency. Consequently, you cannot enjoy the full potential of your devices.
The solution is to replace the video card of your computer with one having multiple ports. This method is expensive but a permanent and reliable solution.
We hope this guide will help you a lot as we have explained everything in detail. We tried to teach you various connection methods.
Moreover, this article has also listed some drawbacks of making such a connection.
But, sometimes it is necessary to connect two monitors to one computer with one VGA port. Therefore, we have told you 4 methods. You can choose any of them depending on your convenience.
I’m Memona Aman, Editor of Speakersmag.com. I am naturally inclined towards modern technical gadgets. I love to research on speakers and soundbars. I write articles on this blog to share my latest knowledge. I am happy to assist you in your search for the best audio devices.