DirecTV On Demand is one of the popular services that provide a variety of content. Recently, I tried this service. However, I frequently faced the issue of DirecTV On Demand not working.
When I asked about reviews, many other users also reported the same problem. This situation irritated me a lot. Hence, I decided to find out a solution.
Previously, I applied some easy hacks but they did not fix the issue permanently. Therefore, I consulted DirecTV. They suggested some troubleshooting tricks.
In this guide, I have compiled all the potential hacks. These tips are very useful. So, let us try.
1. Check Your Internet
An effective trick is to reboot or restart your Wifi router. Sometimes, bugs cause temporary speed issues. But, restarting the device can remove such malware.
DirecTV On Demand needs a fast internet connection for live shows. A slow internet leads to such an issue. It requires 4Mbps for SD or Standard Definition.
While 20Mbps speed is required for High Definition or HD. If your internet connection does not meet this criterion, live shows will not play efficiently.
However, you can download content on DVR. So, you have to enhance the speed of your internet. Contact your internet provider for a solution.
2. Wait for Loading
In case you are a new user, you have to wait for the loading of the content. When DirecTV is installed for the first time, it takes 24-48 hours to load all VOD content.
The availability of service feels interrupted before the required time. Hence, you have to wait for 1 or 2 days so that your DirecTV can load everything.
This also happens after a power failure or power loss. The device takes some time to recover the suddenly lost data. The provider told me that most complaints come from new users.
3. Test the Receivers
DirecTV provides an HD DVR or Genie box. It acts as a receiver. A bad receiver can lead to an On Demand not working issue. All the status lights on the receiver should be turned ON.
Moreover, it should respond to the remote. If the receiver is malfunctioning, simply restart it. Simply, press the red/power button on the receiver to reboot it.
4. Secure the Connections
Loose connections are one of the major reasons your devices stop working. It happened several times to me. Whenever my DirecTV does not work, I reconnect the cables firmly.
So, check the power cord of your device. It should be plugged firmly into the power outlet and the device. Furthermore, check the cable connection to the TV.
The connection between your DirecTV and television should be strong. In addition, be sure to connect everything correctly.
5. Examine the Cables
The next thing you need to check is the cables and cords. Examine the cables along the entire length.
Make sure any cable is not frayed out, exposed, twisted, or damaged. Replace the cable that is defective. Because faulty cables cause signal loss.
Moreover, use the best quality HDMI cables to get the best quality display. Try to use shorter cables as longer cords also cause signal loss.
6. Clear Cache
You must be familiar with the cache memory. It is a temporary memory of a device such as found in smartphones and laptops.
Sometimes, the files in the cache get corrupted or it is stuffed with a lot of data. In this case, the functioning of your device slows down.
Clearing the cache helps refresh and reboot the receiver. You can do it from the device manager website. Follow the steps given below;
- In your browser, open the “myAT&T Account” page. Enter the login information and select “My DirecTV”.
- Next, click on “Manage Package” and then choose “Manage Receivers”.
- Finally, choose “Refresh Receiver” and wait for the process to complete.
- The service will be unavailable for a few moments. However, it can help solve your problem.
7. Update Your DirecTV
Outdated firmware can be the reason behind On Demand not working. Because a newer firmware update comes with bug fixes.
Further, it adds more features and improves efficiency. So, update your DirecTV On Demand receiver by the following method;
Method 1: For non-Genie and Older Genie Receivers
- First, restart the receiver. When the blue screen appears, enter the code “0 2 4 6 8” with the help of the remote.
- The device will start searching for firmware updates. You will see a message on the screen if the code is entered correctly.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download the latest software version.
- However, you have to retry if after entering the code nothing happens but a normal screen appears.
Method 2: For Genie 2 Receivers
- First of all, press the red button located at the side of the receiver. It will restart your device.
- The status LED indicator on the front should glow white.
- At this point, press and hold the “client” button until the white light starts flashing.
- This indicates that the download process has now started.
- The white light will continue flashing until the download is finished.
- Your receiver will restart automatically once the firmware has been updated.
8. Troubleshoot Your TV
In most cases, I noticed that the issue was not related to the On Demand. Instead, the user’s TV was the culprit. A smart TV can store cache and can also be attacked by malware.
Hence, it is necessary to reboot, restart, and update your TV. First, try a restart and power cycle.
- Unplug your TV from the wall power outlet for 1-2 minutes.
- Disconnect all the devices from the TV.
- Plug it again, turn it ON, and connect with On Demand.
- Next, check for the latest firmware update and install it.
- Reset your television to the factory settings if it is still malfunctioning.
9. Reset Network Settings
Resetting the network helps reestablish the connection between the DirecTV servers and the receiver. It allows the device to connect with better servers. The process is as follows;
- Press the “Menu” button on the remote of your receiver.
- Go to “Settings” and select “Network/Internet Setup”.
- Next, choose “Reset Network Settings” and then click the “Confirm” button.
10. Contact the Server
If nothing works, you must contact DirecTV. Explain your problem and tell them how you tried to solve it. Sometimes, the issue is by the server due to scheduled maintenance.
Usually, you get a prior notification or email. However, if the issue persists, get help from the server. They have professional technicians that will come to your place to fix the issue.
FAQs About DirecTV On Demand
Here are some frequently asked questions. They will help you understand the functioning of DirecTV On Demand and solve its issues.
What is DirecTV On-Demand and how does it work?
DirecTV On Demand is a content service. It offers On Demand programs from the channels you choose in your package. It lets you access thousands of movies, shows, programs, and documentaries. You can stream live content as well as record it for later.
Do I need to activate my DirecTV On Demand?
You do not need to activate the On Demand service, just activate the receiver. Go to the “myAT&T” account page for activation. Your satellite plan should include On Demand.
Why my DirecTV remote control is not working?
If the remote control is not working, check its batteries. Remove and reinsert the batteries. Moreover, replace the remote batteries with fresh ones. Restart and reboot your DirecTV On Demand receiver if it is not working.