Asus laptop black screen with cursor issue is very common as well as troublesome. But, this guide will solve your issue just in a few minutes.
The black screen issue has many reasons such as outdated or corrupted drivers and some faulty settings.
Moreover, the incompatibility between software and hardware, malfunctioning external devices, overheating, and software glitches can also lead to the black screen with a cursor.
It is necessary to diagnose the root cause. Sometimes, removing an external device or installed application can solve the issue.
But, the problem may be intricate or hardware-related. Therefore, we need to try some troubleshooting tricks. This article is a complete guide for you.
We are sure, by the end, you will have fixed your Asus laptop. So, let us start, following the fixes in the correct order.
1. Increase the Screen Brightness
The black screen issue may be caused by a lower brightness level. Sometimes, you accidentally decrease the brightness, hence the screen goes black.
So, check it as a preliminary measure before you try more complex fixes.
On your Asus laptop, press and hold the Function key ‘Fn’ while at the same time, press the ‘F6’ to increase the brightness level.
Hopefully, this can help, if not, try the troubleshooting steps listed here.
2. Inspect the External Devices
You may have connected some devices to your Asus laptop such as speaker, cursor, scanner, memory card, USB, internet cable, HDMI, CD-ROM, etc.
The software glitches can be transferred from these devices. You can identify this by carefully observing the screen during the reboot process, a few dots will be spinning on it.
Disconnect the devices one by one and observe which one resolves the issue. Avoid connecting the problematic device again until you troubleshoot it.
Blacks screen with cursor issue may be due to the second monitor. Simply, disconnect the monitor from your laptop and observe the change.
3. Force Restart
A force restart can help solve the problem quickly. It is also called a CMOS Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) reset. You can do it as follows;
- Disconnect all devices including the AC adapter from your laptop and also remove the battery.
- Press and hold the power button for about 40 seconds.
- Wait for a few seconds and then put the battery back.
- Now, turn it ON and check the screen display.
4. Reset the Display Mode
One of the most common reasons for a black screen is a temporary software glitch. The operating system of your Asus laptop cannot communicate to the screen display.
Hence, the display does not receive any commands and turns black with the cursor. There is a simple reset trick you can try;
On your Asus laptop, press four keys at the same time; the control key (Ctrl), ‘windows icon key’, the ‘Shift’ key, and the key reading ‘B’.
This combination of keys will reset your laptop and the connection between the operating system and display will be revived. However, if the issue still persists, move on to the next solution.
5. Perform a Soft Reset
If resetting the display settings does not make any effect then try to reset your laptop.
- First, restart your Asus laptop. Now, press the ‘Windows’ key along with the ‘L’ key to get into the windows screen.
- Hold the ‘Shift’ key and tap the ‘Power’ option at the bottom left corner.
- Next, click on ‘Restart’ and it will lead you to the ‘Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).
- Tap ‘Troubleshoot’ and then ‘Reset this PC’.
- Click the ‘Next’ button and select the ‘Keep my files’ option.
- It will take a few minutes to complete the process. After that check whether the black screen issue has been resolved or not.
6. Perform a Hard Reset
A hard reset is very effective in solving a great number of software issues. You can not only try it to fix the black screen but also to resolve other minor problems.
The process is as follows;
- Completely shut down your Asus laptop and disconnect the power cord or any other peripheral devices.
- Open the battery cover and remove the battery, wait for 30 seconds.
- Now, press and hold the power button on your laptop for about 60 seconds.
- Insert the battery again and turn ON your laptop.
- Try to reboot your laptop, if it is performing well, the issue was due to external devices.
We recommend you connect the external devices one by one to check which one is the source of the black screen.
Moreover, update the graphics driver on your Asus laptop to avoid the issue in the future. If the screen is still black with the cursor, try the next fix.
Also Read: Connect JBL Speakers To Computer and laptop
7. Check for Problematic Applications
Some of the applications installed on your laptop can also cause the black screen issue. Because they may contain bugs. So, find and uninstall these apps.
- On your Asus laptop keyboard, press the ‘Ctrl+Shift+Esc’ keys at the same time.
- It will open the ‘Task Manager’, choose ‘File’ and then click ‘Run New Task’.
- A box will appear, type “appwiz.cpl”, click ‘Enter’ and proceed.
- This will show you the ‘Programs and Features’ window. You can uninstall a problematic application from here.
- Start with the app you suspect is creating the issue and check for improvement in your laptop.
Many users face the black screen issue after Windows 10 update. This is usually caused by third-party apps like Firewall, Cisco VPN client, or IDT Audio.
Uninstalling these apps can help solve the problem. Even though you delete these apps from your Asus laptop, they still leave some junk files behind.
Cleaning and removing them is also necessary. You can get help from a software program called ‘Restoro’.
Download it on your device and it will guide you further to complete the process.
8. Update the Graphics Drivers on Asus Laptop
The black screen issue is also caused by the old or outdated graphics drivers. Upgrading them manually is tricky and will take a lot of time.
So, we have found a very helpful program that will automatically install the latest drivers on your Asus laptop.
Driver Easy can recognize the system, version, and its properties. Hence, you can avoid mishaps that may occur during a manual installation.
Driver Easy offers both free and pro (paid) versions. Follow these instructions to update the drivers;
- Open the browser on your Asus laptop and install the Driver Easy.
- Launch the program and tap the ‘Scan Now’ button.
- Let the program scan your device and detect the issues.
- Next, click the ‘Update All’ option and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Once the process is complete, restart your laptop and check if the black screen issue has gone or not.
9. Restart the Explorer
Explorer.exe is a built-in program on your laptop that controls and manages various functions such as taskbar and desktop. If this program is disabled, the screen goes black.
The problem can be solved by restarting the explorer.exe;
- Access the keyboard on your Asus laptop and press ‘Ctrl+Shift+Esc’ at the same time.
- This will open the ‘Task Manager’, tap the ‘Details/Processes’ option.
- From the list which appears, find the ‘explorer.exe’ and then click the ‘End Task’ button at the bottom right.
- Finally, restart your Asus laptop, hopefully, the black screen issue is resolved.
Nevertheless, if it could not help, try the next trick.
10. Turn OFF the Fast Startup
If you are running Windows 10 on your laptop, it has a ‘Fast Startup’ feature. This helps boot up your laptop faster.
But, sometimes it fails to work perfectly thus the screen of your device goes black. Disabling this feature can resolve the problem;
- On your Asus laptop, press the ‘Window icon key’ and ‘R’ at the same time. It will open a popup window, type ‘powercfg.cpl’ in the typing bar and click ‘Enter’.
- Press the ‘OK’ button and then select ‘Choose what the power buttons do’.
- It will open another window, choose ‘change settings that are currently unavailable’.
- Uncheck the box saying ‘Turn ON Fast Startup’, tap ‘Save Changes’.
- Finally, close the window and check whether the black screen issue is resolved or not.
11. Troubleshoot Your Laptop
This method can quickly and easily fix the Asus laptop black screen with the cursor.
- Shut down your laptop and connect an external monitor to it. Now, turn ON your laptop and let it start.
- Once everything is loaded, press the ‘Window’ key along with the ‘P’ button on the keyboard.
- It will open ‘Easy Display Switcher’, choose the ‘Computer only’ option.
- Press the Up and Down arrow keys a few times and then press the ‘Enter’ button.
- Next, shut down your laptop and disconnect it from the external monitor.
- After some moments, restart your device and check for the black screen issue.
12. Try a System Restore
If still, your Asus laptop is showing a black screen with the cursor, perform a system restore. This will help you resolve the upgrade-related issues.
For example, the black screen problem began after you have installed a certain program, window, or software. Most probably, this change has created a problem with your laptop.
So, system restore will retrieve your laptop back to its original state. The process is as follows;
- On your Asus laptop keyboard, press the key with a window icon on it, type ‘System Restore’. It will open a new window, click ‘Create a restore point’.
- Next, the ‘System Properties’ window will appear, click ‘System Protection’ and then choose ‘System Restore’.
- Read the instructions carefully and then confirm the restore by clicking the ‘Next’ button.
- Check the box saying ‘Show more restore points’ and click ‘Next’.
- Complete the process by following the on-screen prompts accurately.
- Restart your Asus laptop and check the black screen issue has gone or not.
13. Verify the Hardware Defect
A hardware defect can also turn the screen black. If you have tried all the software fixes, most probably the hardware is faulty. You can test it by the following method;
- Connect an external monitor to your Asus laptop.
- Press the ‘Fn’ key together with ‘F8’, this shortcut is used to switch displays between the laptop and another device.
- If the display on the external monitor is fine, the issue is software-related.
- However, if the display on the other monitor is not normal, press the ‘F4’ key a few times and wait for the image to display.
If you detect a hardware issue in your Asus laptop, consult a professional to repair it. You can also contact ASUS to find a solution.
In this article, we have listed a number of solutions to fix your problematic Asus laptop. There exists no other solution that is not included here.
You should try them all in the correct order. If you find a device or app is the culprit, do not install it again.
In case of a device like USB, memory card, speaker, etc., troubleshoot it before connecting to your laptop.
However, if all the above-mentioned tricks fail to help you, contact a technician or the manufacturer. Because your laptop may have developed a hardware defect.
Therefore, your Asus laptop is displaying a black screen with the cursor. Tell us in the comment section which solution fixed your Asus laptop.
I’m Memona Aman, editor of Speakersmag.com. I am naturally inclined towards modern technical gadgets. I love to research on speakers and soundbars. I write articles on this blog to share my latest knowledge. I am happy to assist you in your search for the best audio devices.